Quote:
Quote:
Are aluminum poles absolutely essential in winter? Doesn't it depend on the design?
What if the fibreglass poles are made stronger? Wouldn't they be stronger for the same weight?

JAK, Fiberglass poles are not stronger for the same weight and are not repairable in the field as far as I know. There are probably some stats on the web somewhere about material strength. But, if fiberglass was stronger, you would see it being used for masts, booms, etc. on sailboats and you never do.

Once fiberglass poles reach their max load, the glass fractures and the ends look like shredded celery. Aluminum will bend and break but the metal doesn't shred. tt can be bent and twisted back into some sort of shape or if you have a spare piece, just replace it. Most tents come with a repair sleeve that slips over a damaged piece. Carbon fiber is a whole other material. However, when carbon fiber breaks, I am pretty sure it shreds like fiberglass.

I've never seen an aluminum piece break, but I know it can happen. I have seen broken fiberglass poles.

Absolutely essential? If not, you'd see something else being used on high end tents and you never do. I'm not talking about the big "hot tents" that are used up your way or those designed for Antarctica like a Scott tent. I'm talking about mountaineering tents or winter tents like ID, Bibler, BD, Hilleberg, and others make.
Thanks for that Tom. I was mostly curious.

I was curious because I sail and I know fibreglass is better for some things and aluminum is better for others. Fibreglass is generally more durable, because it can bend further without breaking. I think the problem with tent poles is the way they need to be joined together. I think it you could make full length bend poles, which is impractical, them fibreglass might outperform aluminum. I was mostly curious because of this, and because it might also be desirable to avoid aluminum at low temperatures. That might be another thing about fibreglass. The fibreglass, or the resin that binds it, is probably more brittle at low temperatures. That could be it also.