If what you mean by an "alpine tent" is a single wall mountaineering tent, then yes, overkill for mild winter conditions. Can you use a 3 season tent in mild winter conditions? Sure, done it myself and some people use a tarp or one of Henry Shires' Tarptents and are quite happy. See our sponsor links for Henry's tents, as well as many others.

However, in general, consider the following:
No fiberglass poles-prone to breakage, almost impossible for repair. Aluminum poles are stronger, lighter, less prone to break and easy to field repair with a sleeve and duct tape.

Vestibule-most summer tents don't have one. For winter-either snow or cold rain, I would want one. Almost essential to keep the interior dry while getting in and out. Rain is actually worse than snow-snow is easier to scoop up and toss outside.

Choices-free standing or tunnel/A-frame design. A free-standing design is usually heavier, but easy to put up and move if necessary. I've had both. My tent is a five pole free standing winter tent with a big vestibule. I got it on eBay. Heavy but pretty bomb-proof for winter. Way overkill for summer.

Look at the Campmor website. www.campmor.com
They are in NJ and would be worth a trip. They have a lot of tents on sale now. I would stay away from anything sold at a big box store (Wal-Mart, etc.) Cheap big box store tents are cheap for a reason.

Edited by TomD (12/04/08 11:51 PM)