Quote:
I tried it at the house yesterday morning before going out. The noise is much like that of a microphone screaching and it is for more like 2 seconds. In the deer stand apparently it just SEEMS like 10 seconds, or maybe it actually was the other morning. But I'm sure now that it is not a vibration, because I held it from vibrating. It must just be the whistling of the air going through the jet swirls on the bottom, apparently it stops once they heat up to a certain point, just a hypothesis that I am unable to be sure of...

The stove is awesome though. Anyone else notice this noise? I wonder if it depends on which brand of gas you use?
I've contacted the head of engineering at Cascade Designs and hopefully he'll get back to me on it. Personally, I haven't heard this in my pots, or, rather, haven't 'noticed' it. I agree with phat that most stoves make some kind of noise (screeching, whistling, poping, etc.) at some point during the boiling process. My guess is that it's the metal fins heating up which does cause the molecules in the metal to vibrate which, in turn, has the potential to make a specific, short, 'screeching' noise. In the case of the Gen 2 Reactor (laser-welded fins vs. forged fins of the 1st generation pot), the fins are much thinner and are welded on which could cause some vibration and noise (no concern of durability I assure you). The newer pot is much lighter and is as durable and efficient as the older pot.

I'll play with mine and see if it makes any sound as it heats up. I'll let you know of my results. I'll also fill you in if I hear anything from Cascade Designs.