I pretty much use the same clothing for hiking in winter as in summer, but I add at least one more layer of insulation, sometimes two. I'd rather have 2 or 3 thin insulation layers than one thick one so I can fine-tune my body's moisture production. That's a fancy way of saying that I want to avoid sweating when I'm moving. In winter, sweat tends to get cold or even freeze quite quickly, so it's better to avoid sweating. If it can't be avoided, at least the fewer layers that get damp, the better On the other hand, layers have to go back on in a hurry when I stop! I call this peeling off and adding back of multiple layers the "onion method." No, I didn't invent either the method or the analogy to the odoriferous vegetable!

I also have to say that most of my summer hiking is in high altitudes in the Cascades and Rockies, where it can end up snowing even in midsummer. My "summer" clothing is therefore a bit more substantial than yours.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/14/08 04:15 PM)