Last night hiking in the dark and this morning in central VA, it was high 30's to lows 40's and rained the whole time. I started my night hike with summer weight wicking shortsleeve shirt, 200 weigh fleece and Montane windshirt. I quickly got overheated, took off 200 weight fleece and put on rain jacket. I was very comfy. On legs I had REI insulated overpants and was very comfotyable. These are bombproof, not lightweight but solid in hard cold rains.

In AM walking out again high 30's mod - hard cold rain, I wore on upper body above hiking shirt, 200 weight fleece and Precip rain jacket. After 1/2 mile got too hot so took off fleece and felt comfy hiking out. Now my legs did get hot because I mistakenly left on mid-weigh wickers longjohns, hiking pants and Golite Reed rain pants.

I left longjohns on because I didn't feel like taking them off once I noticed I left them on and I was only going to car, but if I was staying another night I would have taken them off to prevent them from getting wet with sweat even though they are wicking, plus they were getting me a little cold.

Chuck