I carry my fuel in small 12 oz clear plastic throw away water bottle, often only filling it partially for a few day hike. I never drink outta this and it's smaller than any water bottle I might carry to supplement my carrying capacity, so no confusion. I don't really care if some other fool takes a gulp of my fuel thinking it's water he's stealing! haha. As the bottle deteriorates (after a long time of accidental crunches, etc) I will replace it. So far it's made the entire AT, LT, and hundreds of other trail miles >2 years old, year round cold, etc. conditions.

I carry a SUL clear plastic tiny cough syrup medicine cup to measure my fuel for use: 1/2, full, or several cups based on trial and error for volume of water I'm heating. I work at a hospital. I'm sure any emergency department or nursing home could give you a couple of these free and they'd last forever. It fits right in with my stove and prevents spilling and wasting fuel by over filling the stove, letting in just burn up after my water boils.