This may or may not be thread drift:
Two things I try to keep in mind if someone aks me to recommend appropriate clothing for a particular place and season (say the Sierra nevada, above 11,000 feet, April) are that different folks can vary a lot in the amount of insulation they need, and one person can vary in the amount of insulation they need from one trip to another. You can even have two people who are opposites in insulation needs depending on whether they are moving or sitting around. I have a ski buddy who I've been on numerous backcountry ski trips with. When we are moving, I need significantly less insulation than he does - I'll be skiing in just my long johns while he has shell pants over his long johns and a light windshirt on top. But in camp, he can wear less than I do and still be comfortable.
And I've had the experience of needing differnet amounts of insulation in what seem to be the same conditions. The most common version of this is that if I get really tired, I definitely need more clothing to stay warm or to sleep warm. Also, if I don't eat well I'm not as warm. I notice this most on the first night of a trip at altitude. Usually my appetite is low when the first night is at 11,000 feet or so, and I definitely don't sleep as warm that first night.
So, I am conservative in suggesting what will work for anyone else, knowing that they may have very differnt requirements than I do. And I would warn anyone that you shouldn't assume that you've got your clothing system down to a science until it has worked for you over the course of several trips in similar conditions.