During mtsteve's Lassen Park, Winterfest trips, I brought in some "attitude adjustment", although I didn't tie one on.:) He is over on The Backpacker, he plans an annual New Years trip most years,.He has been in the shop a couple times now the last year for repairs. Steve is a mountaineer and it has taken its toll on him so he didn't have a trip last year and maybe not this year either. Steve works for a climbing gear manufacturer in N. CA. Nice trips, nice folks, not getting too crazy.

A Bearicade is on the top of my list of new gear to buy, I just want to do the trip in August to AK, number one on my to do list. A new Bearicade would partially offset the weight of the Slinglight chair I bought a year ago.:) Let's see, spend $225 to shave 13 oz., over $17 an oz., not bad.

I guess companies are catering to folks, I was thinking last night about putting the heavy stuff low, high, outside, whatever. There must not be a concensus among manufacturers, as what the bulge at the bottom of a pack is for if there is one. A bear canister or a sleeping bag? Also, heavier item placement may depend on type of terrain going over. If, off trail, more rugged terrain, lower placement of heavy items. On trail, smooth terrain, high is ok. I'll have to ask about that. Putting my canister on top would solve two problems for me. First, in the morning, I can't load my pack until I finish eating, seems I have to put food back into the canister and I don't want to take my lunch out of the canister for consumption that day and leave it unattended while performing my nature call. I try to pack up as much as I can while I am eating. This would be resolved by having the canister on top. Second, by having the canister on top, assuming it is outside the pack, I could use a smaller capacity pack, but the pack suspension would still need to be able to handle around 30 lbs. I just can't get that weight under 30 lbs. for a week trip what with carrying a couple liters of water and over 10 lbs. of food. My pack weight is taking in the weight of the pack also.