Ok ok, cotton in winter is bad. I know you mean well and I was just going off my (bad) knowledge from what I was taught as a kid. I don't think they had a lot of affordable polypro in 1974.

I did buy this morning, long underwear which is merino wool and polypropylene for my torso. It is supposed to wick away moisture. I did not get the bottoms, perhaps I should. I will go to MC Sports to look for rain pants as Meijer does not have them. I also picked up wool socks which will be loose. I intend to use them at night when sleeping.

Next, I am not the leader of this trip, just a chaperone. I have no idea how the kids have been prepared for winter camping. I did go to one meeting and the scout master said something like "Dress warm, and in layers. Bring disposable heaters for night time." He did not elaborate as I recall.

I did do this last year in the same conditions (high temps in 40's rain most of the day) and was very cold as my old and cheap rain pants broke. I was also wearing all cotton and no wool.

I may consider picking up a water bottle too.

As for my alcohol stove, I did use it last year in the same conditions (high temps in 40's, rainy) and it was hard to start but not impossible. And I have alternative fuels, such as fuel gel, one is alcohol based one is corn based. The trick is to preheat the stove with a lighter or over the fire, very carefully, making sure the fuel does not ignite. I may use a primer pan for this. (I use the top of a can. A side-cutting can opener leaves a lip on a can top, perfect for use as a priming pan.)

I guess I wasn't clear about the stove. The scouts have their own duel-burner propane stoves powered by 20lb tanks, but since I am on a special diet, I bring all my own food, and my stove is for my meals only. I also like to test my equipment. If my alcohol stove doesn't work, I have several alternatives: use the scouts' propane stoves, use the fire pit, or alcohol gel, or corn-based gel. We are not that far in the wilderness, we are 15 minutes from town. We should also have access to a water spigot so melting snow is not needed.

I also have brought all soup for my meals providing calories and liquids, which can also be heated over the fire which we will have (assuming we can find dry wood).

As for tents, they are name brand tents found in the Campmore catalog. I forget the name, but they have bathtub-bottoms (good for keeping the rain out), rainflies, but are not the most expensive model. They are non-profit after all. They are very likely 3-season tents, not designed for winter. They also use these in winter camping January-March. They use them year round.

Thank you for your prompt replies. I will be checking back here often as we leave Fri night. I can give you an update after the trip.

Edited by bulrush (11/14/08 05:49 AM)