In the biggest waste for newbies department, I'd say buying that swell titanium cookset while lugging a four pound sleeping bag and six and a half pound tent. Weight reduction has diminishing returns for the dollar at a certain point and if you don't have the bulk of your weight down to begin with, saving a half ounce or an ounce doesn't do much good.

On the hijack topic, I am extremely frustrated with scouts and backpacking. We live in Colorado and my son is in a troop that does a lot of backpacking in fairly rugged country/high altitudes. Most of the troop is extremely poorly equipped and carrying much more weight than they should. For the little guys, this makes for a particularly tough time with the getting back in part of the trip.The smallest kid in the troop (about 65 lbs.) has an adult pack with NO adjustment other than the waistbelt which won't tighten up enough for him. For the older guys I've passed on Craigslist deals for decent packs at low cost. I can't really recommend much that is truly lightweight because they end up carrying so much for Philmont, the problem being that they don't have the lightweight equipment to make a lightweight pack work.If the parents aren't into it, they don't get as it really helps to have lugged your own load over hill and dale to appreciate doing it right. There is also that fear of the kid outgrowing the equipment quickly but if you buy used and sell it to the next kids coming up, there is little expense at all. Just had to vent.

Oh there is one decent thing from BSA stores, the little fire steel. It is light, cheap and works. Now about those quality knives awarded for popcorn sales that won't close without the whole troop helping out...