Over the years I've used several different "systems" for attaching my feet to the pedals (nothing, cage & straps, cage-straps-cleats, SPD's) and I finally settled on what I consider the most comfortable (read most float) system out there - Power Grips. They give (I would estimate) a good 90% or more of the efficiency of "clipless" pedals while giving more float than any of them, easier on the knees and legs, allowing you to ride with any type of shoe/boot you desire (I use my old Specialized Rock Hoppers - with the clips removed - just 'cause I like them), allow much easier "release" than any clipless pedals I've seen (they were developed for mountain bikers due to riders getting hung-up with clipless setups) and - last but by no means least - they are dirt cheap compared to the total clipless package (special pedals - shoes) - this is perhaps why you don't see them pushed that much on the retail sites - nobody's making big bucks off of them. Unless you are a dedicated racer who needs to shave seconds off his/her time I think these are probably a better all-around choice.