Quote:
I think I'm going to go for the 1p tent- after using several 2p tents over the years. I can shave off roughly 3 lbs and that is what is taking me that direction... Has anyone else tried this and thought that the 3 lbs was worth it? Or did you like the decision? pros and cons...

Once again.....it depends. If I were to hike for just a couple of hours to a place where I was going to basecamp for 3 days, I would gladly carry the extra weight of the 2P. But if I was hiking 20+ miles/day with little time for leisure I'd go for the 1P......or less

What about weather? If rain/snow/cold was going to confine me to my tent for long periods, the 2P would be preferable.

If gear storage is a concern, a vestibule should be considered. Some 1P tents with large vestibules (my Akto comes to mind) weigh more than some small 2P tents. I never saw a use for a vestbule in fair weather but when it rains they're great for keeping water out during entry/exit and storing wet gear. In those circumstances I'd rather have a 1P with a large vestibule than a 2P with none.