Quote:
I believe if hikers learned map reading BEFORE using GPS (and resorting to cell phones), "disaster" experiences would be fewer. But it has also been my experience that those who first learn to use GPS NEVER really learn to read a map.

I agree. Learning to use a map and compass first should be a given. I remember being taught basic map and compass in the scouts. I enjoy using topo maps to get a feel for the area I'm planning to visit. I did go with a GPS and map and compass on the last trip to the Ponca wilderness area in Ark. and found the Map and Compass (and mostly the map) gave me most of the information I needed. The GPS was useful in verifing the elevation and location. The GPS (etrex) had to catch up when we didn't have canopy cover. On the point that Jim was making on just wandering around an area (like slot canyons or whatever), I can see where a GPS can get you back from getting yourself lost. But If the unit fails for any reason then you could be in trouble. I won't go anywhere without a map. I even use a map when hiking a local trail route that is well marked. Not for the fact that I could get lost on a simple loop but I find it fun and skillful to know where I am all the time. Plus I can make notations on key points of interest.