In my 07 pct hike, I met a few folks with reliable GPS. Until then I had a Garman etex- Vista and never used it. Here in virginia i could get a signal very rarely when in the woods.

These new units seem to do much better getting a solid signal in the woods, and they also seem to link up much faster. (for the keep them off, and turn on when needed use).

I had used GPS for boating reliably, but never felt much use for one hiking around here.

When I traveled out west for the first time I certainly can see how they can be used easier. A lot less overhead tree growth. And more remote areas.

I'm glad I have basic navigation skills. Mostly learned from my flying lessons and sailing from Florida to Venezuela solo.

On the sailing trip I always had the gps on. Over a year it only blinked out a few times. But once in a very crital area going through a reef with the sun not in the ideal position. Having already viewed my charts, and keeping on course with the compass I followed my line safely through the hazards. I would also write down my lat/long every 30 mins or so incase the gps went out I could deviate or aproximate my position.

Why not learn to use a map and compass? It's easy and will stay with you forever.

I don't feel like the compass is dated like a sextant is.

For the folks who rely on the GPS, what happens when you drop that puppy in the water or campfire or you leave it on a rock 10 miles back. Do you have a map and a know how to get back to your truck? Or did you just blindly rely on that stored waypoint in the unit?