Funny you should mention just taking along a white gas stove.

I've been very pleased with my Pocket Rocket - it's lightweight, easy to use, the canisters are convenient, there's no priming and it simmers well (though I rarely simmer; I just boil water.) However, after several years, there are a couple of things that I'm not so thrilled about: it's hard to tell how much usable fuel is left (unless you carry a scale), particularly in colder weather. There's no true windscreen (though I have used the Whisperlite-style foil screen - you just leave it in a semi-circle, rather than connecting the two ends; it does add some weight, though.)

So, lately (especially after using it on a recent trip), I'm starting to flirt with the idea of just carrying my Simmerlite all the time, and dispensing with the canister stove. It will add about a quarter pound to my kitchen. Of course, it does have to be primed; but I always know how much fuel I've got, and I can reduce the weight on a weekend trip by taking only what I need (as opposed to a full cylinder, if that's all I've got or if I'm not sure partial cylinder will last out the trip.) On any trip requiring two cylinders, the extra weight of the stove is pretty well offset due to the empty cylinder weight.

Not quite sure where I'll come down yet, but I've got to admit that the Simmerlite is becoming more attractive all the time. (Of course, if MSR would come out with an alcohol burner...)