I have encountered bears on the trail, not in camp. I primarily use a bear cannister (because it is required). I do not set it 100 feet from camp - more like 25 feet within my view. I am quite particular about a clean camp, not only for reasons of bears, but because I like being clean. I wash my clothes regularly and wash my face and hands before bedtime. I have had a bear sniff my face once when I was sleeping next to my car at the trailhead. I have never had a bear get near my bivy sack or tent out in the mountains, but I make a point of NOT camping in well used campsites. I sleep with earplugs and do not worry about my food or safety. Worrying does not do any good. I also sleep with a loud whistle around my neck so if a bear ever were to "kiss" me again, I would blow the whistle loudly! I think if you camp at regular campsites along a well used trail (like the PCT) you will have a good chance of having a bear come in. I do not think the probability of a bear encounter in this case is overblown, but perhaps the danger of it is overblown. Black bears are after our food, not us and simply want to defend themselves if they feel threatened or are surprised. No matter how many times I have a bear encounter on the trail, they are still very scarey! Nothing to take too lightly. I certainly do not want to antagonize them.