Lot's of good advice has been given here already. I'll chime in with my opinion. There are plenty of people who sleep with their food in their tents in black bear country and do not have a problem. I used to do this regularly myself. I personally don't condone that method, but it seems to work for others. I myself am a hanger...I like to hang my food from a tree branch using the PCT method.

There seems to be much controversy over hanging. People don't like doing it, they can't do it, or whatever. Depending on location I personally don't see the issue with hanging food (unless the person has a physical limitation that would not allow them to run the line). Each type of terrain poses it's own problems, and I am only going to address that which I am quite familiar with...the East coast...primarily the SE. Around here there are not many places that come to mind where I have not been able to find a tree where I can get my food bag at least 9 - 10 feet off the ground.

I personally think the primary problem with hanging food has to do with the technique of running the line. I am not overly athletically inclined, and I can typically get my line over a branch in 5 tries or less. I usually look for a small rock, and just tie it directly to the end of the cord. Then I make my tosses using an underhanded throwing motion. I just stand under the branch, lob the rock up there, and quickly move out of the way (in case I miss). My buddy that I normally hike with refuses to go underhanded. He likes to throw over handed. I have seen him tangle his line up on multiple occasions when throwing this way. In my opinion, the underhanded method is much easier and more accurate as the rock just goes straight up rather than at an angle (as it would with an overhand throwing motion). Using the under handed throw I have even been able to snake the line between multiple branches and hit a spot without tangling it or snagging it on anything.

Ok, that was my "soap box" on the technique of hanging food. To each own...do what works for you.