Quote:
I am wondering how many of you have had a bear attempt entry into your tent/tarp/hammock in an aggressive manner (as we are so often warned about)? Did you have or not have "smelly" items in your tent (besides yourself) and if so what were they?

Maybe not "aggressive", but:

Years ago in Yosemite when I stupidly left my toiletries (toothpaste, campsuds) at the foot of my sleeping bag, I was awakened in the middle of the night by a big nose poking at my feet through the tent walls, and the sound of loud sniffing. I yelled and heard something very big heading away. In the morning there were 2 sets of bear prints outside the tent in the snow (baby and mama).

I will never ever ever do that again. It could easily have ended up as an injury for me, and subsequently death to a bear, just because I was too dumb and lazy to haul the food bag down again and put my toiletry kit in it. Plus it scared the bejeezus out of me and ruined a good night's sleep!

I believe we have the responsibility to make sure that bears are not able to get at our food and develop bad habits that lead them to being trapped and killed as nuisances. If we're not willing to accept that responsibility, it shows very little respect for the bears and doesn't speak well of our presumed love for nature.

P.S. From what I've read, food smells on clothing are more of an issue in grizzly country. I've never worried about that in black bear territory.