> All of these warnings cause reasonable people to be more frightened.

I think there's confusion here.

There's no need to be frightened. Simply hang or otherwise secure your food supply and go to sleep. Otherwise, you may indeed get a scare. You don't even need a bear for a scare from improperly secured food -- raccoons have kept a lot of people up at night, as someone else noted. And yes, if you spill food on your clothing, you shouldn't be sleeping in them in bear country -- they go in the bear bag/canister, too.

It's unreasonable not to take elementary precautions. You're statistically unlikely to become a gunshot victim. That doesn't mean you should stand in front of the targets at your local shooting range or wear a deer antler hat while hiking during hunting season -- or not properly secure your food. Maybe you can switch into the adjoining lane without checking to see that it's empty most of the time. Doesn't make it safe or reasonable. On the other hand, I'm not your momma. If you don't want to secure your food and you aren't camped near me (you won't be :-), that'll be between you and the wildlife. The bear you habituate to humans as an easy source of food may not thank you when the forest service shoots it, though.