I have thought a lot about this. First of all I always use the bear hangs in the smokies and am careful not to have food in my tent. However, I think that there is an extreme amount of paranoia over this particular topic. I suppose if you cook then food smells are gonna be all over your clothes. I do this and then I sleep in those same clothes!!!! So I would guess I am at risk of being clawed in the middle of the night unless I change into freshly laundered clothes and hang the others. I believe the reason the paranoia exists is because the park services are constantly having to plaster warnings everywhere in order to keep the 3% of stupid people from leaving food left blatantly unnattended. All of these warnings cause reasonable people to be more frightened. I am wondering how many of you have had a bear attempt entry into your tent/tarp/hammock in an aggressive manner (as we are so often warned about)? Did you have or not have "smelly" items in your tent (besides yourself) and if so what were they?

Edited by BlountCountyBackpacker (10/08/08 01:04 PM)