Quote:
I protect my food by one means or another regardless of where I am hiking. Mice are the biggest problem but racoons, marmots, ringtail cats, pack rats and other critters have all chewed holes in my gear. I have only had a bear get into my food once and that was this summer in the Lyell Valley in the Sierra. I absent-mindedly left a handful of trail mix in one of the hip belt pockets of my pack. There is now a 2" hole in that pocket. (Note to self: patch the hole.)

I use an Ursack most of the time to save the hassle of hanging and to keep my pack and storage bags from getting chewed on. I always use a bear canister where they are required. Not protecting your food is, in my opinion, foolish and a bit irresponsible.

Pika is quite right - it often isn't bears you need to fear. Rather chipmunks, birds, mice, rats, marmots.....

Sure you can be lazy and not protect your food. But why take the risk? For $60 get an Ursack like many of us. No hanging needed and it weighs not much over a heavy duty stuff sack.

Also, while bear canisters are heavy and overkill, they do work well. And one can sleep in utter comfort.