I wish it was that easy.

Taking off clothes doesn't stop the sweat.

When exerting I sweat heavily, regardless of clothing. I can be uncomfotably cold on the outside and still sweat heavily.

My guess is that the muscle exertion generates internal heat that triggers the sweat glands to let loose....regardless of external temperature.

Sooooo, my strategy is to wear as little as I can to stay warm while hiking and then change into dry clothes when I stop.

Here's a tale of two hikers......a sweater and non-sweater. On our last trip my buddy and I started out on a trail with a slight incline at 40 degrees F. I'm wearing a thin polypro pullover and am very cold. He's wearing a thick polorsomething pullover plus a wind jacket and is confortably warm.

In less than 200 yards I am glistening with sweat, my pullover is damp and I'm getting colder by the minute. My hands are getting too cold to button a shirt. I start adding clothes.

He's uncomfotbly warm but dry. He strips down to just the windbreaker.

By the time we reach the ridge top (about an hour and 1000 feet elevation gain later) he's still wearing only the windbreaker and is quite comfortable in spite of a brisk wind. I'm wearing polypro, jacket liner, insulated hat, windbreaker, rain paints and rain coat and am soaking wet head-to-toe. Sweat is dripping off my glasses. I'm too cold to stop for more than a moment and don't want to drink water because it will cool me down even more.