I have to tell you, I never really understood what the big deal was about spinnaker fabric. First off, let me just say that I race a 42' very high performance sailboat, and have 4 spinnakers aboard, anywhere from 1500sq/ft to 1200sq/ft in size. Each one has a different fabric weight, and personally, it's nothing special. We usually completely destroy 1-2 sails per year, caused by ripping them, having them blow out, etc.

Now, is the spinnaker cloth that lightweight hikers use the same as what we use aboard boats? If so, I have to agree with Mugs, what's the deal with the "shortage?" I can tell you as a fact that if I wanted some, I could have 3000 sq/ft in my house by this afternoon, no joking at all. It's not rare, it's not in high demand, there's absolutely no shortage, and, most importantly, this is no miracle fabric. It's nylon, nothing more. It stretches, pulls, rips, and leaks, just like you'd expect nylon to. All of this goes back to my question... is the stuff used here the same as what we use aboard boats, because if it is, I completely cannot understand all the hoopla. Based on that, I kind of think it's different... it has to be, otherwise nobody would make such a big deal over it, and it would be easy to come by.

Hell, I've been looking to get a GG Squall Classic forever now, but they are unable to get spinnaker cloth... WHY??? Call North Sails, Quantum, Doyle, or any one of half a dozen other sail lofts, and buy some, of any variety or weight that you'd like. Or, go on any one of 50 different one design class sailing web pages, and buy some used cloth on the cheap.

I just don't get it... this stuff has got to be different from what we use on boats.