Howdy Barry,

I suppose there are still a few niche markets for NiCd technology. I never even thought of RC cars - you're right about those, although NiCd is being replaced by LiPo technology (lighter, 20C discharge rates, lighter = faster, high energy density, did I mention lighter?).

As far as the ultimate in battery tech - I'm still waiting for those promised methanol fuel cells. Panasonic said in 2006 that they would be putting them in laptops and cell phones by the end of 2007. Now we're over half-way through 2008 and they still haven't shown. Imagine something the size of two Cricket lighters side-by-side that has an 8000 mah capacity on one lighter's worth of fuel. That's the kind of power source that make a tech-head like me wet my britches! I bet a 99-cent bottle of Heet would keep my laptop running for weeks.

The coolest energy tech that's still quite a ways away from leaving the lab is implantable batteries that use biotech from animals like the electric eel to generate electricity. Eh, but then you're trading batteries in your pack for extra food. Maybe not so hot an idea for hiking?