Kirk and I tried out Packit Gourmet's Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits with Texas Cream Gravy - ours came with the TVP sausage.

I really, really have a love affair with B&G but most times I pass over them due to restaurants using the oh-so-nasty gravy in a can (ugh) and or enough sausage grease to produce see through paper.

So it was promising that the gravy mix had an option for sausage TVP (less fat!) and no added fat to the gravy.

Getting ready to start the biscuits:

It does require the use of two vessels - one to 'bake' the biscuits, another to whip up the gravy. In theory, if you have a plate or bowl you could park the baked biscuits in it, as the gravy only takes a couple minutes to be ready. I baked the biscuits in the fry pan of my GSI n'Form Backpackers set using a mini spatula. The gravy I cooked up in the bottom half of my GSI Extreme Mess Kit and a GSI Rehydrate spoon.

Plated up and ready to eat :-) I used a Light My Fire XM Spork to split the biscuits and eat.

It made plenty for two good sized appetites. Ok, maybe not for a logger sized appetite.....but normal sized ones ;-)

I added in a 1/4 of the red pepper flakes packet for the extra kick. It was tasty and very filling!

I won't lie though - while it is fantastic tasting the only way I would do all the work involved would be for dinner or if for breakfast on a short trip where weight isn't an issue. On the other hand....for car camping this would be awesome. And I'd eat them at home - they are perfect for a two person breakfast - the gravy is really good - it isn't greasy nor overly salty. I can't think of how many times I would have loved to be able to make a small batch of B&G and not have tons of left overs.

One I will buy again, I give this meal my approval!

~Sarah