Recently I was out on a hike here in Michigan in brushy forested country with a very poorly marked trail and lost the trail completely. The only map of the trail is a DNR brochure with the north arrow 45° off position and pointed to the bottom of the sheet. I have hiked the same trail several times before and had always found my way through so I did not bother to take a better map.(I know, dumb move). I have a yellow Garmin Etrex which I have not used very much and I was thinking about going out again and making my own map of the trail. Now the confusing part. The Etrex saves a track which can be 1200 points and in battery save mode it updates every five seconds. That means that the track is overwritten every 1 1/2 hours unless saved and ten tracks can be saved. That means 15 hours total if I remember to save before the track is overwritten. Is there something wrong with my thinking here ? I am thinking that I may be better off just entering a waypoint every 5 minutes or so or when the direction changes. What is the best way to map this trail?