Thanks Franco, I saw a similar tent on an Aussie Antarctic site a few years ago. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

Here's the one I saw. Turns out it's the same one you have off the Aussie Antarctic Division site-
Tent pics

Here's another one-
another pic

Kevon-those snow doors were pretty common on winter tents back in the 70's. If you look at some of the pics of what are now really old school tents, you will see those. I think TNF had a winter dome tent with them.

This design appears to be particular to use in Antarctica from what I can gather from the websites. If I understand it right, there are 4 tent poles that meet at the apex and are attached to some type of hinged bracket, somewhat like some of the cheap family tents. It sounds like the poles run just under the corners of the 4 sides.

I wonder if you could make a lightweight version using some type of waterproof fabric and smaller diameter aluminum poles. That way you could have a pyramid without the pole in the middle.

One site said that some Scott tents aren't really waterproof since it is so cold and dry in Antarctica that they don't need to be, but for "normal" camping, that would be problem.

Edited by TomD (08/24/08 05:21 PM)