Just this year I have begun taking my 3 year old twins and my 13 year old on *hikes*. I have found that firm ground rules make all the difference. There is only one of me, and three of them, and if we are not all on the same page, it can be a disaster. By firm, I mean that I only give one warning, then we leave. We don't go on all day hikes yet, but we have gone on 5 hour hikes(round trip) and at first, when they would start testing the limits, we would turn around, and go strait home. 10 minutes in, or two hours in. Another firm rule is no running, and *sit*. I have taught them that sometimes if I need to get my bearings, or snap a picture, the best thing for them to do is sit down, that way I am not having to worry about someone going over a cliff, or dissapearing into the pines(my little ones are very little, and too quiet sometimes) Everyone carries their own small pack with a whistle, water, jerky and a light fleece blanket. (lol of course, with my daughter, I often end up carring it back). My oldest walks behind the twins, and I am in frount. He knows not to let anyone behind him, and that who ever is directly ahead of him, he helps them with steep paths, or narrow ledges. I expect that I will be carrying someone on the way back. If I find that I am dealing with alot of whining, or two babies who want to be carried, we stop and take a rest, and have a snack. Maybe check out the bugs, or cool rocks, or an old rotted tree. The biggest issue I have had this summer is pacing. They are too young to know how to do that, so its a little bit of a struggle to get them to slow down, or we risk burning all our energy in the first two miles(makes for an unpleasant walk back to the car) We try to pick hikes that end somewhere interesting; a stream with easy access, a large meadow, an open area under the pines. All in all, I am thrilled they love it, and tolerate it well. It keeps us all active and entertained during the armer months. Next year, I am hoping we can try something overnight(we do camp alot, but not a pack in situation) Best of luck, these are the very best years!
(and this activity makes for some killer naptime in the afternoon;) )