Quote:

Methinks that within the limitation of frameless packs -- the weight at which a particular frameless pack starts to collapse depends almost entirely on what "frame" YOU insert into the pack, how YOU pack your gear, and how well the pack cinches down into one tight bundle -- either when full or less than full.

Given the nature of frameless packs and all the above -- I find it odd that one can form a straight conclusion that one particular pack will collapse at a lighter weight than another.

I agree completely. with My GG virga I can stuff 30 lbs of food and water in it just fine when using
the monster 27" wide CCF pad I hammock with as a frame - rolled up as a tube. The pack just won't collapse with this, and deals very well even when not full. On the other hand, after a discussion with Glenn, I've tried putting load in with just a folded regular width 3/4 pad as the "frame" - not a tube, with the load cinched down on it, and then just doesn't cut it at higher weights, it's a pain over 20 lbs or so. it becomes squishy, so I think most people (who would not be carrying a huge wide ccf pad if they aren't a hammocker) would *not* be able to carry 30 pounds comfortably in that
pack,

Basically within the very broad constraints of the basic suspension, and size of the bag, I think
the packing method and "pad" used as a frame matter a lot more than the pack.
Browse my pictures