Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207253 - 12/21/23 01:40 PM Compass vs. GPS?
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Do you still carry a paper map and compass? I'm guessing GPS and Phones get a lot of use on the trail nowadays. I happen to love navigating with a map and compass and have frequently been off-trail enjoying and exploring the places few people go....and finding my way back.
What brand and style compass do you carry, if any?
Baseplate, lensatic, mirrored?

Just curious.

#207255 - 12/21/23 05:11 PM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: Jim M]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
I’ve been a map junkie since I was 12 years old. That is when I started to learn navigation. Went on to a career that spanned over 30 years using mostly USGS quads for precise aerial mapping navigation. Right now I’m using a Suunto M3 compass (but have several others of various makes and designs, baseplate, lensatic, mirrored) mostly to triangulate our vehicle on sketchy backroads, camps, archaeological finds and key points on tough off trail routes that are very important to hit precisely. A field notebook is necessary doing that.

However I’ve grown to like all the scales of maps that can be stored on the phone, some very beautiful maps that don’t have bulk or weight. Navigation is so important that I recommend paper map, compass and gps. Green Trails makes a light weight, waterproof map of the mountain ranges we frequent and Avenza has a stellar gps app with both free and wonderful maps for sale. The 10 Essentials lists navigation as #1 for a reason. I believe in the systems and go lightweight but fully prepared. Had a seriously wonderful off trail canyon hike with girlfriend this morning.

#207257 - 12/22/23 05:40 AM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: Jim M]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
I'm not particularly high end. If I'm in an area that I am not familiar with, I carry my phone (with map app and built in GPS) and a paper map and compass. I either use a military style lensatic compass (because that's what I learned on) or more commonly carry a small SERE compass. I also take a few minutes to familiarize myself with the area so that if I had to, I could walk out sans GPS or map/compass.

#207258 - 12/22/23 01:28 PM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: Jim M]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I don't do a lot of off-trail stuff and I have a pretty good sense of direction. I've been walking around in the woods my whole life. I always print maps of my hike so I know where the trail is going and to make sure I am following the correct one. I carry a small button compass but rarely use it. I love printing up paper maps off of caltopo.com Then once I complete a section, I can use it for fire starter (depending on location). I call that dual use. I suppose that could get me in trouble if I ever had to double back. But even in that scenario I'm just retracing a trail I just walked down.

I have a hard time keeping my phone charged over a couple days if I am actively using it. I pretty much use it for pictures and emergency use (GPS, calling if I can get to a spot with signal).

#207260 - 12/24/23 12:47 AM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: BZH]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
thanks for all your replies. My conclusion from the responses is that you all are very experienced and yes, you do carry a paper map and compass, at very least in case the phone or GPS fails. In addition, I think we all agree that map and compass is a basic skill everyone in the wilderness should practice to improve their self-confidence and safety.

#207262 - 12/24/23 03:54 PM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: Jim M]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Years ago a couple from Arkansas became lost in Big Bend National Park in Texas for five long days with insufficient supplies or equipment. The woman was a reporter and penned a multi part article. She said the map they had was not detailed enough and the area they were hiking showed as less than an inch on the map. Big Bend does have some very visible landmarks so if they had simply brought a compass and knew how to use it they could have triangulated their vehicle and easily made it back to that point and not even missed dinner or spent even one night out. They didn’t even have to have any map to do that. There are various other “tricks” when using a compass that will help one navigate so they should have learned the basics of navigation.

#207279 - 01/06/24 05:34 AM Re: Compass vs. GPS? [Re: Jim M]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Map & compass always, even on day hikes. My current compass is a Suunto, pretty old, with a sighting mirror.
I probably couldn't use the mirror very effectively, but it's the "orienteering" function that seems most valuable to me.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum