Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206532 - 07/22/22 10:53 AM Beating the heat
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
What do you folks do to beat the heat in the dog days of summer like now? Do you stop backpacking for awhile? Do you hike in higher elevations? Do you suck it up and hike in the heat? Where I live any place with high enough elevation to be a comfortable temperature would be a prohibitively long drive, and coastal areas with cool temperatures would be even further.

#206533 - 07/22/22 11:17 AM Re: Beating the heat [Re: 4evrplan]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Get up high, or head to the coast!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#206535 - 07/22/22 01:42 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: 4evrplan]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
The hard core desert hikers around here get up well before sunrise to do some vigorous canyon hiking, seeing more and more people with the same mindset. We see the regulars kind of flowing with the seasons all year round. We have several canyon routes that keep us in shade for quite a while during the morning hours and after 47 years of hiking here are acclimated somewhat to this desert.

But very few backpack in the desert this time of year. We live at the very base of the mountains so we can walk up to high elevations and big, shady trees with no diving. There are five mountain ranges surrounding us and exponentially more the further out we travel. They are called sky islands for their juxtaposition with the surrounding desert. Right out our door sits about 400 square miles of this terrain that is all connected.
For most of us here hiking the mid day hours is not something we seek out and we really try to avoid that. It’s just too hot and that can creep up on one fast. Lots of water, some salty snacks and much care and caution. Be safe out there.

#206536 - 07/22/22 01:47 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Go somewhere cool and reduce mileage. Get to elevation and/or get to water and camp close to the trail (or at the campground you drove to). If it is too hot and sticky, I'll stay home with AC.

#206548 - 08/02/22 04:02 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: 4evrplan]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
When the weather makes it too dangerous or simply too arduous and uncomfortable to backpack, I wait for better weather or go somewhere else that has better weather. If everywhere with better weather is too far away, then it sounds to me like waiting is the smart option for you. frown

#206550 - 08/03/22 12:53 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: 4evrplan]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I generally just don't backpack in the summer. I don't enjoy it at all, I just sweat from the time I get up until the time I stop, and I don't sleep well. I'm pretty much a two-season backpacker these days.

#206552 - 08/03/22 07:25 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: JustWalking]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
We like to hike in all seasons but don’t like backpacking in winter or summer. The monsoon season is extremely active right now. It’s unpredictable. We baked a cake in our sun oven in the morning about 10:00 or 11:00. By 2pm it poured rain and later that evening more rain. It rained hard this morning about 6am. The ferocious lightning storms accompanying the rain along with the flash floods that shoot out of the watersheds are very dangerous. After getting our hiking fix we head back to the ranch. Lol some small cacti are in glorious bloom with the bees on them now so we got back much later than usual this time of year with a lot of images. The desert looks almost dead then the monsoons come and a couple days later it’s brilliant green with blooms. Every day is different.

For us, Spring and Fall are the seasons for backpacking and camping but we’ll dayhike multiple times a week all year round.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum