Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205662 - 07/07/21 09:20 PM Carrying My Dog LOL
Hey Offline

I have a dog. She is my first little dog! She is 13 lbs! I would like to take her on an overnight hike. I will be using a small backpack. I pack lite. However, I would like to add something to my backpack to carry her. So I am asking and looking around. If you have something you rigged up or something you bought that you were able to add to your pack, please share! Thank You!

Some added info...
I would like her to sit on top of my backpack.

She is our little adventure dog. She sees us packing up the truck or the travel trailer ( I have a homemade tiny travel trailer), she gets very excited! She is very familiar with hiking. The whole time we are camping, she is just begging to hike! She is a very active pup! She keeps us active! LOL! When we go to our little property...she is everywhere! I do need to get her on the kayak. She hasn't been on the kayak just yet. She has a life vest for when we go to the river and lake. She even has a basket on my bike. She definitely knows a bit about adventure!
I haven't gotten her on a long overnight thru hike. I'm lookin!

Edited by Hey (07/07/21 11:20 PM)

#205666 - 07/08/21 08:56 AM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: Hey]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Photos please.

#205674 - 07/08/21 05:27 PM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: Hey]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
When our Cairn Terrier became more elderly I did have carry him while backpacking over portions of the day. He just didn’t want to stay home. I don’t think the top of the pack is a suitable place but some might make it work. I put him in a small Eagle Creek duffle with a piece of closed cell foam in the bottom that was curved on my body side to fit and two shoulder straps worn sort of backpack style in front, bag to my stomach. He loved it. I’d let him walk when he wanted but would put him in the bag when he needed that. We could communicate with looks and gestures so he could tell me.

In the end it depends on what you like and just how much you are willing to put up with. We enjoyed his company over the 17 years with him and depended on his hearing and olfactory skills that were far beyond our own.

#205676 - 07/08/21 09:07 PM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: tramp]
Hey Offline

Photos of the dog or the backpack type i have in mind?

#205677 - 07/08/21 09:10 PM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: Arizona]
Hey Offline

Awesome!
Our pup was a stray. Tossed out of a car and left behind in my daughters friends yard. We dont know if she is a toxern or a cairn terrier, Smart as whip! And VERY adventurous little dog! Tons of energy! Ill share some pics.

#205681 - 07/09/21 10:14 AM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: Hey]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I would think a cat/small dog travel duffel bag lashed to the top of your pack would work out.

something like this: https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-travel-airline-approved/dp/217290

You would want to make sure it is securely attached. The arrangement would make the pack pretty tippy. I wouldn't put anything in the top lid so you can keep the dog as low as possible. I also learned from putting my kids in hiking backpacks to always pick-up by the top middle loop on the pack (not shoulder straps).

#205717 - 07/16/21 12:55 PM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: Hey]
nwguy Offline

13lbs is going to be VERY heavy after a few miles

#205809 - 08/13/21 07:48 PM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: nwguy]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I wonder how this worked out for him?

#205837 - 08/29/21 11:52 AM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: aimless]
Hey Offline

Good Morning!!!
In 2 weeks I will be heading out to the cabin.I bought a backpack that my dog fits perfectly in! I can also still fit my stuff into as well. I will be testing it out. I taught her to "Load Up". She gets right in. It is airplane approved. So if all works well during the plane/hike test, she may be able to go on a short 2 or 3 day hike. She loves hiking! I hate leaving her behind. This will also be her first time up on the mountain with us now that we have a backpack/carrier that is airline approved. I am very excited about this!

This what we got her...Spoiled Mutt!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Ventilation-Features-Lightweight/dp/B08HQXJYFX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=VYUCKXA0G7WR&dchild=1&keywords=lanperle+pet+carrier&qid=1630252267&sprefix=lanperle+%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-5

#205850 - 09/14/21 11:32 AM Re: Carrying My Dog LOL [Re: aimless]
Hey Offline

After training our pup to load up, it worked out great! She was excited to get in and go! Passed the Airline requirements! We didn't get to use it for hiking. Where ever we went she walked. She wasn't too heavy. The straps sat on my shoulders comfortably. She's my spoiled mutt! Ill be taking her on more extended adventures soon!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum