Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204625 - 07/15/20 05:02 PM Hot Weather Hiking Shirt
SJS Offline

Loc: Low Country of SC
I have numerous miracle fabric shirts for hiking but my favorite for hot, humid weather in insect ridden places, believe it or not, is a cheap, made in Vietnam, 100% nylon shirt. The brand name tag is long gone.

The thing is, unlike all my other hiking shirts, it is more like a dress shirt in the sense that it has long sleeves which button up, a collar, pockets, etc. But it is really light, really soft and really comfortable. No, it does not breathe or wick but I find it very comfortable in very hot and humid weather and I prefer it to putting tons of repellant on. I think I got it from LL Bean.

Anyway, I can't find one like it again and my long winded question is actually simply: anyone know of a shirt that is comfortable in hot, muggy weather and has a collar, long sleeves and pockets? Wicking and breathing would be great, but not necessary, just really light and really comfortable.

#204626 - 07/16/20 01:42 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: SJS]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
The Columbia Silver Ridge shirt would be worth a look. I have the long sleeve version, and like it. Mine weighs 5.7 ounces (men's small). There's also a "lite" version...I think the difference is UPF 40 vs UPF 50.

It seems ideal for warm weather. My only complaint is that if you roll up the sleeves a bit, the fabric is so soft that they won't stay rolled up for long. It does have the little button tabs to keep the sleeves rolled up higher, though.

Also, not cheap. I forget exactly, but it seems like it was in the $50 neighborhood.

There are various reviews on YouTube and elsewhere on the net.

Edited by Bill Kennedy (07/16/20 01:43 PM)

#204627 - 07/16/20 03:44 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: Bill Kennedy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I've used a thrift shop US Navy tropical khaki shirt for years. Cost me about $3

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#204628 - 07/16/20 04:05 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have a Columbia titanium somethingorother long-sleeve, button-up shirt I'm in season two with. It's very thin and light and I sweat it through with little provocation, but it dries fast. Sun protection and has rubber buttons and thin seams for comfort beneath pack straps. IDK the model name so will point at their titanium performance line for something similar.

Cheers,

#204629 - 07/16/20 08:35 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: Rick_D]
SJS Offline

Loc: Low Country of SC
Thanks, that Columbia Silver Ridge is exactly what I am looking for. Now I just have to decide whether to get the lite version or not.

#204646 - 07/25/20 05:18 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: SJS]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
My summer time shirt is a SPORTIF fishing shirt. some sorta nylon blend.it has long sleeves that, like the others, roll up and are held in place with a cloth tab/button. one thing that I love, is the collar has an extention, that makes collar almost double a normal one. it shields the neck very well. the shirt wears like iron..I've never gotten used to short sleeve shirts. the nylon evaporates moisture as fast as I can produce it.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (07/25/20 05:24 PM)

#205260 - 02/13/21 01:53 AM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: SJS]
eyesfit007@g Offline

Shirts racing. They will tear up backpacking eventually, but I guarantee you're not going to be too hot or too wet. You can only go for buckskin or nude, if fake scares you, but the new petrochemical fabrics are dramatically superior.

I've got two of these, and a peep show jackets as well. In Hong Kong, I stepped off the trail, and they survived admirably. They're running a little high, so there's a degree of ventilation coming from that. And when they're wet, they feel very soft. The primary wear on the warmth of the tropics was around the cuffs, using trekking poles. They were restored for free by Patagonia Bowery. They've got a bit of abrasion from the pack belts, but nothing bad. Suggested. A thicker material is the R0 sun hoodie, and it snags more quickly, so maybe not as good for your intended intent.

Edited by eyesfit007@g (02/14/21 11:30 AM)

#205445 - 03/30/21 06:27 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: SJS]
Flipperfla Offline

Loc: Fl
[quote=SJS]I have numerous miracle fabric shirts for hiking but my favorite for hot, humid weather in insect ridden places, believe it or not, is a cheap, made in Vietnam, 100% nylon shirt. The brand name tag is long gone.

The thing is, unlike all my other hiking shirts, it is more like a dress shirt in the sense that it has long sleeves which button up, a collar, pockets, etc. But it is really light, really soft and really comfortable. No, it does not breathe or wick but I find it very comfortable in very hot and humid weather and I prefer it to putting tons of repellant on. I think I got it from LL Bean.

Anyway, I can't find one like it again and my long winded question is actually simply: anyone know of a shirt that is comfortable in hot, muggy weather and has a collar, long sleeves and pockets? Wicking and breathing would be great, but not necessary, just really light and really

[/quot

Colombia’s long sleeve SPF50 Fishing Shirts

Edited by Flipperfla (03/30/21 06:30 PM)

#205449 - 03/31/21 02:47 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: Flipperfla]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A lot of men iike polyester/cottton dress shirts. Example:
"PMags" favorite hiking shirt

Edited by OregonMouse (03/31/21 02:59 PM)

#205494 - 04/20/21 12:13 PM Re: Hot Weather Hiking Shirt [Re: SJS]
albertdavid Offline

Look for shirts, shorts and pants in white, tan or khaki. Wear loose, breathable clothing: Lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that breathes well will help your body regulate temperature. Nylon and polyester are good choices.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (04/26/21 12:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed commercial link

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum