Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203628 - 11/08/19 12:12 AM Mylar "Space Blanket"
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I usually use a thin plastic painter's tarp for a ground cloth under my tarp. It has always worked fine, but I think I could save a little weight by simply using one of those Space Blankets I see advertised on Ebay for a buck. I was wondering if anyone has done that. I know they wouldn't last long. The plastic I use has lots of duck tape patches and isn't vary durable either.

#203631 - 11/08/19 06:58 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
bluefish Offline

I used an e-blanket, though it was far more than a dollar, as a ground cloth on some desert backpacks. It served a second purpose as a sun shield, as my wife doesn't fare well with heat at times. It acquired lots of rips quickly. I've had better luck with crossed linked polyethylene , sold as polycryo, or patio door insulation. You need the 1.5 mil, not the .75. This is pretty durable and a few ounces for a solo groundsheet. I'm guessing the dollar stuff is meant for one use and would be in the trash very quickly.

#203633 - 11/08/19 09:22 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've slept on a space blanket for exactly one night. No issues other than it's very crinkly. Since then, I've used polycryo.

#203639 - 11/09/19 12:37 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
I agree with the other posts of really fragile, does not fold back up as it gets crinckly, and its really noisy to boot.

Have you tried hydroponic grow mylar ? Quite robust stuff and folds up too.(im sure you all in the states have it everywhere now, or is that just california ?)

#203643 - 11/09/19 03:39 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you toss and turn as much as I do, the "space blanket" won't last more than one night!

#203648 - 11/11/19 11:15 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My buddy uses one as a ground cloth under his tent. It is difficult to work with because it is so light and flimsy. He usually shreds his setting it up and it never lasts more than one set-up. Its always seemed like a really waste to me.

#203659 - 11/13/19 08:50 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
This may be another YMMV situation. I use a mylar blanket slung under my hammock. Yes, it is noisy, but one can last me all season and beyond. Also, I just returned from a trip to FL. On my bucket list was camping at a waterfront site in Fort DeSoto (County) Park. I used a space blanket under my <$20 (well-known bidding site) tent. The base was mostly sand with some small shells. Even with moving the tent, between sites, the space blanket looked pristine when I put it away. No, it did not fold as small, but it at least was the same weight.

That said, if you have the opportunity to use Polycro, my opinion is "Go for it," unless you are in a sun-baked situation. I also used a one of these blanket under my tent in the Grand Canyon some years ago. With afternoon temps reaching 120 F, the ground didn't cool much before about 1 AM. The first night, the heat was somewhat reflected away from me, the second night (not moving the tent) the ground hadn't heated under the tent.

In windy conditions, you may find it easier to spread the lightweight blanket after erecting the tent, then working the blanket under it.

#203672 - 11/15/19 06:08 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm happy with a hunk o' "kite Tyvek" I cut to size. Silent and soft compared to housewrap, and it lasts.

Cheers,

#203706 - 11/20/19 08:53 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Too crinkly and they shred. I will use space blankets for the underside of my hammock to block wind. The reflective nature is overrated.
Tyvek....any Tyvek works well for me. Homewrap, kite tyvek, anything you can get your hands on works.
A sheet of silnylon also works well and I think that's what's in my pack now, for tarping.
Coated ripstop works fine too but is a tad heavier than the above choices.

#203792 - 12/05/19 11:31 AM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Dryer]
Mbphoto Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Their reflective Nature is overrated?

They actually work amazingly well, but will only reflect infrared radiation, i.e. your body giving off heat, or the sun's warming rays.

I've got one in my classroom that I'm going to demonstrate tomorrow morning and the students are amazed by how quickly you can feel "the heat".

#203793 - 12/05/19 12:04 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Mbphoto]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Great!

You might also show your students how well the blanket works as a sun shield. I forgot to mention earlier that we found one of these set up with hiking poles, etc., worked well as a temporary shade/shield as we took a break along a sun baked trail. A friend set one up behind us to reflect the heat from a campfire as well as block wind from that side on a very cold night. Think variation of a reflector fire.

#203794 - 12/05/19 02:00 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: CamperMom]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
A word of warning. I had a space blanket in my backpack unused for several months and when I took it out it disintegrated. They do have a shelf life so might be wise to replace occasionally. Agree with other that they will tear pretty easily and not meant for prolonged use.

#203796 - 12/05/19 05:17 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: 4evrplan]
JustWalking Online   content

Loc: PNW
I'm a polycryo fan as well (I use the heavy duty window covering which someone else mentions). Because it blows away so easily, put small pieces of gorilla tape at each corner, then added grommets. I can stake down the polycryo so it doesn't blow away, and then set up my shelter. I can then remove the stakes from the polycryo if I wish. Works like a charm, and has lasted for a couple of backpacking seasons so far.

#203864 - 12/20/19 01:58 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jim M]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I too found a piece of thick painters tarp to be adequate.

I found that if I put in INSIDE the tent under my bag, it was a fine vapor barrier but if you put it under the tent it funneled water under and you get MORE WET. We have demonstrated this often, try it yourself if you wanna get wet put the barrier under the tent. Space blankets are a waste. I want gear that can be used over and over.
Jim

#203873 - 12/21/19 02:42 PM Re: Mylar "Space Blanket" [Re: Jimshaw]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Good points. When I use a groundcloth it's usually to protect the tent floor more than moisture management, although rain can always happen and/or a soggy campsite.

Now that we have ultralight tents with 20D and even 10D floors, punctures and scrapes are much more common.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum