Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203265 - 07/19/19 12:12 AM Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping
Automaton25 Offline

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum not not so new to the outdoors. I have tons and tons of gear and am normally pretty well equipped. However, this go around my wife and I have decided to backpack across Iceland in a couple weeks. With the 18 some odd hours of daylight in the country at the moment, I was curious if anyone has any experience or suggestions blacking out a tent. We will be in a Big Agnes Tumble 3 and will be keeping strange hours due to crowds and photography concerns. I was thinking a lightweight emergency blanket but have not tried it yet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
Andrew

#203266 - 07/19/19 05:38 AM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Automaton25]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
It seems like the "space blanket" or maybe black 2mil polyethylene might work but possibly cause condensation or ventilation problems. Sleep masks may be another idea worth considering:

https://www.dreamessentials.com/articles-faq-025-what-as-an-eye-shades

#203274 - 07/19/19 04:25 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
It seems like the "space blanket" or maybe black 2mil polyethylene might work but possibly cause condensation or ventilation problems. Sleep masks may be another idea worth considering:

https://www.dreamessentials.com/articles-faq-025-what-as-an-eye-shades

That sounds like a good idea and draped over the rainfly should not introduce condensation, although I understand Iceland can be relentlessly windy and between fly and tent may be needed to keep it from flapping and blowing away.

Otherwise, sleep masks or cinching the sleeping bags really tight.

#203287 - 07/22/19 11:33 AM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Automaton25]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree with Bill. Eye shades would work much better and be much lighter than trying to black out your tent.

#203291 - 07/26/19 12:52 AM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Automaton25]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
+2 to Bill's suggestion of eye shades.

#203303 - 07/29/19 05:31 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Automaton25]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Blacking out a tent also works for cooling and uv protection. String a tarp with tieouts over it and peg it down, works a treat, material at 2oz per sq yard, 6 sq yards, an extra 6 oz is nothing. You could try the tent footprint !

#203304 - 07/29/19 08:48 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Petro1234]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I spent two weeks (quite a few years ago) in Norway above the Arctic Circle in June, which meant sunshine 24 hours except when it rained. All of us at the hostel slept when we felt like it and were out fishing in their rowboats at midnight, followed by a 2 am fish fry. So it helps to be flexible!

I'd go with the sleep mask which is not only the lightest option but the most versatile.

#203335 - 08/12/19 10:45 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
good solution and funny too because it is so simple.
I explained the OP situation to my wife, she came up with exactly the same solution.

#203337 - 08/13/19 06:08 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: OregonMouse]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
@
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I spent two weeks (quite a few years ago) in Norway above the Arctic Circle in June, which meant sunshine 24 hours except when it rained. All of us at the hostel slept when we felt like it and were out fishing in their rowboats at midnight, followed by a 2 am fish fry. So it helps to be flexible!

I'd go with the sleep mask which is not only the lightest option but the most versatile.

Do you not think that the sun through the tent would be a problem, heating you up ?

#203338 - 08/13/19 08:21 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Petro1234]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It was never that warm the two weeks in mid to late June that I spent near or above the Arctic Circle. It rained a lot, too.

#203340 - 08/14/19 11:25 AM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: Petro1234]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
When I was in high school we went rafting down a river north of Kotzebue, AK. It was the hottest summer in memory (at the time) according to the ranger we met. It was odd trying to sleep in full daylight but it was never too hot to sleep in the tent.

#203380 - 08/29/19 04:29 PM Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping [Re: BZH]
Mbphoto Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Spent two weeks tent camping in Laponia in July. Used sleep masks every night and had no issues at all.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum