Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201618 - 08/29/18 09:32 AM Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors.
SJS Offline

Loc: Low Country of SC
If you use scissors for moleskin, etc. do you carry dedicated scissors or a multitool (or knife with scissors)?

I don't use most of the tools on a multitool or similar knife so that is heavier than needed; but small scissors I try don't work well on moleskin and big scissors are, well, big.

What do you use?

#201619 - 08/29/18 10:06 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I carry a tiny knife and nail clippers.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201620 - 08/29/18 10:08 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The only mini-tool scissors that I’ve ever found which will actually cut moleskin are on the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Classic. (I’ve never tried the larger, heavier SAKs; I would assume the scissors on them would also work.) It also has tweezers that are actually functional, which eliminates another element in my first aid kit. Best of all, it weighs an ounce.

The little fold-out scissors on the Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime are useless; they won’t cut moleskin, but just kind of chew it.

If you’d still prefer actual scissors, I’d recommend the Fiskars Folding Travel Scissors; you can find them at any online or brick-and-mortar sewing store. They fold small, are very light, and most importantly, are very sharp.

Before I found the SAK Classic, I carried a pair of the Fiskars scissors, some Uncle Bills tweezers, and a Gerber Mini LST pocketknife (I really liked the lock back feature that kept the knife from folding onto my fingers) - all 3 together weighed less than 3 ounces.

By the way, I used to carry a small nail clipper. Now, as my trips never are longer than 3 days, I just trim my nails before I leave home. The small scissors and the nail file on the Swiss Army knife do a good-enough job for any touch-up needed on the trail.

#201622 - 08/29/18 10:17 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I don't carry moleskin, because I've never needed it, and I figure I can use bandages and duct tape if I get a hot spot. That said, the scissors in the Leatherman Micra and the Leatherman Style CS are very good. These tools are small and light with minimal unnecessary functionality. Or, for even less weight, you could carry a pair of those tiny folding scissors. I found mine in the sewing section of my local big box department store, Fiskars brand I think. I ended up not carrying these though, because the micro scissors on my current multitool (LM Style PS) are sufficient for my needs.

Edited by 4evrplan (08/29/18 10:21 AM)

#201624 - 08/29/18 10:20 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
The little fold-out scissors on the Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime are useless; they won’t cut moleskin, but just kind of chew it.

Glenn, are you sure you're not thinking of a different LM keychain model? The scissors are the primary tool on the Micra.

#201625 - 08/29/18 10:23 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Offline

No, I’m not confusing it. I should have said the Micra scissors are useless for cutting moleskin. I’ve carried a Micra as my everyday pocket knife for the last twenty years, and am totally pleased with the ability of the scissors to cut paper, packing tape, and other everyday materials, and I also likethe assortment and functionality of the other tools on it.

I’ve just not found it to fit my needs very well for backpacking. Sorry if I created any unnecessary confusion.

#201626 - 08/29/18 10:55 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Ah, I see. That's really good to know for future reference. Thanks for clearing it up, Glenn.

#201627 - 08/29/18 11:05 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I carry a big mega, multi-tool SAK I bought with my paper route money when I was a kid. I keep trying to replace it with something smaller and includes the tools I need, but every time I go to pack, it ends up coming along. I am beginning to wonder if I have an emotional attachment to it. The scissors do cut mole skin well.

Edited by BZH (08/29/18 11:05 AM)

#201628 - 08/29/18 02:14 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I carry a small fingernail scissors. They're what I use to trim my toenails & fingernails, which can be handy on a long hike. They're also good for cutting tape or moleskin, or trimming away dead skin. If necessary I could use them to trim my nose hair, too! grin

Most importantly, they cut things. Ineffective, dull scissors that chew on things are maddening. Same with scissors so tiny they are barely useable.

#201629 - 08/29/18 03:00 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
professor Offline

Loc: Southern California
I carry the small Swiss Army Classic Knife. The tools it has are the right mix for my needs.

#201630 - 08/29/18 03:34 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: professor]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since switching from boots to trail runners, I've never had to cut moleskin, because I've never had a blister. I still carry a small piece in my first aid kit, but since it's been there for over 10 years, I probably should discard it. Since then I switched to the Leatherman Squirt as my knife/multitool, but I've used the scissors only for fingernails and trimming bandaids to fit. I have never tried it on moleskin!

In the more distant past, I used my knife blade for moleskin, using a nearby log or larger dead stick as my "cutting board." It just seemed to work better!

I personally need the pliers the most. I use them for pot lifters and also for gripping ends of straps to pull through buckles and other tasks for which my fingers do not have the gripping strength needed.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/29/18 03:36 PM)

#201631 - 08/29/18 05:02 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: BZH]
Glenn Roberts Offline

You only need to worry about an emotional attachment if you’ve given it an opposite-gender name. smile

#201632 - 08/29/18 10:09 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

#201639 - 08/31/18 03:32 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
The Slip-N-Snip folding scissors work well. 0.9oz. and US-made, about $10.

I have a pair in my first-aid kit, but I always have a little Swiss Army knife in my pocket (Wenger version) so they're probably redundant.

#201641 - 09/01/18 03:54 AM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I just carry a sharp pen knife with a sharp point. Never had a problem cutting moleskin. The sharp point cuts through with no problems.

#202236 - 12/06/18 10:47 PM Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. [Re: SJS]
Talthing Offline

check out the Leatherman Juice S2...4 oz has full size scissors. I haven't found anything better.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum