Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201508 - 08/11/18 11:23 PM bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry?
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I am spending the summer in Central Idaho backpacking. I have a buddy that I car camp with that has 0 experience backpacking. He decided to drive up and backpack with me. We checked out his gear and it was horrible. He probably has a base weight close to 40 pounds. Basically he brought his car camping gear. He bought a no name backpack off of amazon. He has a ozark trail tent, 30 degree walmart sleeping bag, a yoga mat to sleep on. Night time temps range from 27 to 40 here. I told him he could use some of my UL gear like my EE Rev and Gatewood Cape but he doesnt want to and then. I mean i doubt the 30 degree sleeping and yoga mat are going to keep him warm. He also bought a 1 pound alcohol stove lol . He doesnt want to use any of my gear. All i said to him was if you can carry that gear then bring it. I am a little worried about taking a long trip so I think an am going to do a short over night into 4th of july lake and see if he changed his mind about using my gear.

Im a UL backpacker. My gear is completely in check. Im sure most of your gear is the same. What do you do when you take a newbie on a trip and their gear is complete crap and super heavy? Just let them learn from their mistakes?

I understand the need to take it slow with beginners but i have a feeling we will be stopping to rest every 20 minutes

Edited by aimless (08/12/18 12:19 AM)
Edit Reason: board policy against profanity

#201509 - 08/12/18 12:23 AM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: toddfw2003]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If you enjoy his company, then go ahead and enjoy his company as you stop every 20 minutes. He can't say you didn't warn him or try to help - and if he complains too much, gently remind him and figure out what needs to be done, if anything can be done, to remedy the situation. Just realize this trip will be driven by his lack of experience and try to make the best of it.

#201510 - 08/12/18 07:15 AM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: toddfw2003]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
You made the right call by turning this into an overnighter. The only other thing you could suggest is a shakedown day-hike, and let him learn what his load will feel like on the trail. Some people only learn by experience.

If he can carry his load, then your biggest concern is probably him sleeping warm. Since you’re very much UL, and it’s only for one night, would you be willing to carry the extra sleeping bag (quilt? I’m not familiar with EE models.) That way, if he gets cold, you can pull it out and he’ll be warm.

He’ll also be more inclined to listen to your advice on the next trip - and, hopefully, there will be one. Just remember that your main purpose on this first trip is to get him hooked on backpacking, not to turn him into a UL hiker. That comes later.

#201529 - 08/13/18 02:44 PM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
The weight is one thing. If you want to get out there badly enough and you don't have the coin for light gear or the time to make your own from scratch, you'll make do with heavy gear, as I do.

Staying warm is another thing altogether. Hypothermia is nothing to take chances with. I absolutely would not put him in a dangerous situation at any cost.

Maybe start with car camping and day-hikes, only fully-loaded to simulate backpacking and shakedown the gear. That way, you can keep extra warm stuff in the car close to hand or even bail if you need to.

#201530 - 08/13/18 06:26 PM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My guess is that the “problem” with the friend’s weight isn’t the weight of each item - it’s the number of items. You’ve probably done the same thing I did (for many years, until the kids were grown & gone and the house paid for, I also made do with heavy stuff.) I simply applied a fairly stringent mind-set about what I really needed. The tent groundcloth vanished early on, as did the full set of eating utensils and the pot set (the good old Boy Scout Rocky cups, one large and one small, were affordable and made an all-in-one cooking, dining, and drinking set.) Before there was any such thing as “light” gear, my kit was consistently 10 pounds lighter than my friends’, just because I didn’t bring as much.

That would probably be the OP’s first goal after getting the friend hooked: eliminate all the unnecessary stuff. Then the friend can replace as desired or as able to afford.

#201531 - 08/13/18 06:47 PM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I offered him my 20 degree quilt. he bought a 0 degree mummy bag from walmart. not sure how comfortably warm it will keep him. Maybe warm to 35 if he is lucky.

This isnt actually a friend. I am friends with his wife. I have car camped with him before. I dont think he really knows what he is getting into. He was wanting to bring his mountain bike, put saddle bags on it and push it lol. I told him bikes arent allowed int he wilderness and we will be above the tree line which is super rugged. It would be a nightmare pushing a big up there. again I have a second set of ultralight gear that i offered. He will learn real fast what a 40 pound base feel like in a backpack without any suspension.

we are taking two car. If he gets tired and wants to turn around he can, im not. call me selfish if you want. The first trip we are doing is a two nighter. there is a 1000 foot elevation gain right at the beginning. It will make or break him

#201536 - 08/15/18 01:45 PM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: toddfw2003]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
The pad is the only thing I'd actually worry about. Bring along something that can add to his yoga mat so he doesn't shiver all night.

The Gatewood is not for everyone. I've seen a lot of wide eyes when people have looked into mine. Floorless is daunting when a person has always had a floor and bug netting.

And just like when nearly all of us began, we had to haul 40# of gear and then unpack it afterward thinking, "Hmmm. Maybe I don't need that third pair of blue jeans for an overnighter..." That's when the learning really happens.

#201539 - 08/16/18 10:27 AM Re: bad idea taking a newbie into the backcountry? [Re: toddfw2003]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
I've taken my older brother into the Grand Canyon and my brother-in-law across the Canyon, neither had any experience. Both trips went well but only because a lot time was spent in preparation and discussion. My brother researched what he needed and that combined with what I told him he needed resulted in him being pretty well equipped.

My brother-in-law trained hard but brought little in the way of equipment other than clothing. I supplied most of that and, in the hopes of ensuring his success, limited his pack weight to 25 pounds.

I guess IMHO letting the newbie bring junk equipment is a recipe for disaster, unless your aim is to teach them a lesson and ruin your trip at the same time.

Heard many stories of people taking newbies like you're talking about and none of them turned out well. Saw a guy last week in the Winds dragging a pack on the ground that he obviously couldn't carry anymore. He was just about back to the TH when I saw him. Don't know how far he dragged it but I could see the trail left by it in the dirt continuing up main trail before I turned off.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum