Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200719 - 04/11/18 09:19 PM Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Wanting to replace my Pur Hiker filter with something lighter, I bought a Sawyer Mini. The 16oz bag it comes with is too small, but I already had a 2L Platypus bag I thought I'd use. Unfortunately I find that the Platypus bag uses a thread that is just slightly different than the Sawyer (which is the standard pop bottle thread). It will almost work, maybe will work sometimes, but leaks.

I did a search on the net and found that this is not exactly news, but I thought I'd pass it along here.

I just ordered a CNOC Vecto bag, which looks like it might work well. Kind of like the Platypus zipper top hydration bladder, but maybe more versatile. And much cheaper.

#200721 - 04/11/18 10:11 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
If I remember correctly, the CNOC bag has threads that match Sawyer, as does Evernew and the ones at Walmart (Ozark Trail?). Platypus is the odd one. I haven't looked at Walmart lately, so I don't know if they still carry these. If they do, they are inexpensive.

#200725 - 04/12/18 09:16 AM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
It's been awhile since I researched this, but I seem to remember people got it to work somehow. Screwing it down really tight? Adding teflon tape or a gasket? Something like that. I'd try teflon if you have any laying around.

#200734 - 04/12/18 10:00 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I think Evernew bottles are also a match (available on Amazon, last time I checked.)

#200736 - 04/13/18 03:34 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: 4evrplan]
Bill Kennedy Offline

You might make it function, but it would never be right or very reliable. It seemed to work the first time I tried it, but I apparently just didn't notice the leak. The thread pitch on the Sawyer bottles (also pop bottles) is 2.7mm. I measured the thread pitch on the platypus at .15", which would be 3.8mm. It's close enough to feel like it's threading correctly, but once several threads are engaged things go wrong.

In any case, both the Sawyer and the Platypus are inconvenient to fill from a lake or stream. The CNOC bottle has a wide opening at the other end for filling. I'm anxious to get it and see if it works as advertised.

#200737 - 04/13/18 04:02 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Please let us know how this works out!

Do note that since Cascade Designs (Platypus) and MSR are the same company, and they advertise their water filtration products as compatible, it appears that you'll have the same problem with both brands being incompatible with the rest of the world.

#200925 - 05/07/18 10:02 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
dralahiker Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Platy was standard pitch thread for a long time. I have some Platy bottles from 2001-2002 or thereabouts that have Coke plastic caps since such things are easy to lose. Seems like Platy changed the pitch in the mid/late 2000s (?).

Evernew (which I now use with Sawyer Squeeze) captive cap copied the design from a brand made in Austria around 1980 (I have 4 in the closet bought at LL Bean, red leash and green cap).

I've been following CNOC and it appears that some early production quality control issues have been worked out. Surely I'll get a Vecto sooner than later!

How about a Vecto with captive cap?

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

#200926 - 05/07/18 10:15 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: dralahiker]
dralahiker Offline

From CNOC site, Vecto FAQ:

"Using the Platypus Hose Kit the Vecto can become a hydration bladder, but the hose won't seal completely, and a 28mm by 3mm silicone O-ring is needed to seal the system."

Well, there ya go!

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

#200935 - 05/08/18 04:28 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: dralahiker]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Bill, I just discovered the MSR Trailshot Microfilter, and have ordered one on ebay...It's a much cheaper, much lighter alternative to a Katadyn...My Sawyer Mini wont be getting much use now!

#200941 - 05/09/18 03:23 AM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Alf]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Alf,

I tried the trailshot, but wound up returning it because it imparted a plastic, vaguely bleach-like taste to the water. I ran about 6 liters through it, and it only reduced it a little. I didn't try anything else. I think it's the squeeze bulb, not the filter itself. Maybe a thorough washing with soap and water, or lemon juice or something would work. Not everyone experiences this according to the reviews. Otherwise, it worked OK, but I only tried it at home. It could use a longer intake hose, with a float on it, but that's easy enough to do if you decide you need to.

#200947 - 05/10/18 11:09 AM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Alf Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
Alf,

I tried the trailshot, but wound up returning it because it imparted a plastic, vaguely bleach-like taste to the water. I ran about 6 liters through it, and it only reduced it a little. I didn't try anything else. I think it's the squeeze bulb, not the filter itself. Maybe a thorough washing with soap and water, or lemon juice or something would work. Not everyone experiences this according to the reviews. Otherwise, it worked OK, but I only tried it at home. It could use a longer intake hose, with a float on it, but that's easy enough to do if you decide you need to.

I have just received it in the post. I am wondering if MSR sterilise each Trailshot with bleach before they leave the factory? Water at home can have a slightly bleach like taste to it, due to some of the chemicals water companies treat it with, such as Chlorine, used to kill bacteria. They add other chemicals to try and eliminate the taste of the Chlorine (Sulphur Dioxide, as I recall), but it's possible they go they mix wrong on your water supply leaving it tasting slightly of Chlorine? But if that isn't the problem then you have me worried now.

#200948 - 05/10/18 01:01 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Alf]
Bill Kennedy Offline

I read a lot of reviews (after the fact) and some people reported the taste issue, but definitely a minority. You may not have any problem at all.

I eliminated other possibilities. I used water that was filtered already through the filter on my kitchen tap, tasted the water before and after filtering, etc., and compared it to water filtered with my PUR Hiker. I may have given up too soon, since it's possible washing or soaking would have corrected it.

It could be that it was residue of some kind of sanitizing solution used during manufacture. Possibly the occasional filter gets a bigger dose of it and needs more time to disperse it.

#200951 - 05/10/18 06:01 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I’ve got one, and haven’t noticed any taste like that described above.

#200960 - 05/11/18 09:09 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Alf Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
I read a lot of reviews (after the fact) and some people reported the taste issue, but definitely a minority. You may not have any problem at all.

I eliminated other possibilities. I used water that was filtered already through the filter on my kitchen tap, tasted the water before and after filtering, etc., and compared it to water filtered with my PUR Hiker. I may have given up too soon, since it's possible washing or soaking would have corrected it.

It could be that it was residue of some kind of sanitizing solution used during manufacture. Possibly the occasional filter gets a bigger dose of it and needs more time to disperse it.

On the side of the pack the Trailshot comes in, it says: "Individualy tested hollow fiber membrane"...This implies that they test each individual filter, prior to them being assembled, packaged and shipped. Obviously, they can only test each filter by running water through them, and it's possible that after the test they pass a sterilzing solution through them before drying them out packaging them...Surely that could impart a bleachy taste, at least in the early days of using it, which might improve with use?

Edited by Alf (05/11/18 09:11 PM)

#201580 - 08/21/18 09:45 PM Re: Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same [Re: Alf]
dralahiker Offline

The Trailshot deserves it's its own thread. A hiking buddy loves his for filling his water bladder. I stick with my Sawyer Squeeze/Smart water bottle combo. I like the Trailshot idea, but the filter life is so short it would require a new filter per year at $35 each. But it does have its place.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum