Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195072 - 04/24/16 06:22 PM Cache
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I've never done it, nor even thought much about doing it. But I'm currently planning a hike that would be greatly improved using this strategy( actually it would be my back & pack). the trail crosses a road at the half way point where a parking lot and restrooms are located. ( Pacific crest trail section wa-I) having never having done this myself, I'm somewhat reluctant. But feel this is the time to learn a new hiking tactic. Any words of wisdom or experience from the collective? Thanking all in advance

#195075 - 04/24/16 08:33 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I am in the same situation as you, but what I have seen about supply caches is to leave it out of sight, but labeled as to what it is, who it belongs to, when you left it and when you expect to pick it up.

#195077 - 04/24/16 10:08 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have indeed left caches where the PCT crosses a road both in Oregon and in Washington State. I used five-gallon buckets with lids as the primary cache container. I make sure the contents are well bagged up in ziplocs, often multiple layers of ziplocs. Additionally, I place the entire bucket inside a black plastic garbage bag. Smaller animals can't get in if you do it right. And if the contents are swathed in enough layers of plastic, the food will still have a smell a bear can detect easily from nearby, but the aroma ought not attract bears from any great distance.

As mentioned, I always look for places near to a parking area, somewhere frequently visited by humans so as to discourage bears approaching. I hide them out of sight of people, for example in a hollow stump, in among thick bushes, shoved among boulders with other rocks on top to disguise it. I also labeled each bucket on the outside to identify what it is and request it not be disturbed. I indicate when it is expected to be emptied and when it should be picked up again and removed from the site.

This has worked well for me so far. I've laid a total of six such caches in the past. None has been disturbed when I tapped into them for my resupply.

I would not recommend taking this approach anywhere in California, due to the different attitude among CA bears toward areas where humans gather. A plastic five-gallon bucket just won't suffice to keep a bear out of it. The whole key is that the bears in the vicinity must be shy of humans and not in the habit of getting near where the cache is laid.

One more thing: it is against regulations to leave any caches within the boundary of a designated wilderness area.

#195084 - 04/25/16 11:18 AM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'm trying to think where on WA section I there would be a road crossing with a parking lot and restroom, about halfway along. It's been a few years since I walked that last but not that many. You're not talking about Ulrich Cabin??

Anyway, on topic ... :-)
I've done food caches, but always in bear canisters. Hiding them, definitely, a good few steps off the trail in places where no one has any reason to venture. By using an animal-proof container, I don't worry about keeping it too close to human-frequented places (quite the contrary). I also look for a shaded spot that's not likely to flood, that sort of thing.

A couple of things can go outside the can. If I'm also caching water (which sometimes makes sense), water bottle(s) of course. Possibly a fuel container of whatever sort. Even on occasion a clothing change can be nice, though in fact I've never bothered with that. A little charge unit to recharge my phone/camera. That leaves plenty of room generally in the can for just food.
I also find it wonderful to include a little food treat or two, something(s) that will hold up well in the forest, to be consumed on-the-spot, food I would never want to carry. So maybe a can of fruit, small bag of potato chips.

Maybe this is obvious already, but just in case ... if you do walk your cache a "good few steps" away from the trail, it's an excellent idea to snap a photo of the spot where you leave the trail, and voice record or otherwise record in essence a sort of pirate map set of directions to get back ("From the big rotting stump, 13 paces east-southeast to the micro-clearing ... ".

Despite hiding it (well), I too consider it good practice to leave a note on top of the can, giving basic contact info, date that I expect to return to pick up the can, and a friendly plea to anyone encountering the can to not leave me hungry and bereft. My approach to this is to write it on plain paper and then tape that on the can using wide clear packing tape, so it holds up well in the weather.

I've heard of people hanging their food as a cache, and I just --- wouldn't. I've heard of people burying a cache and --- ditto. My opinions, anyway.

#195087 - 04/25/16 01:26 PM stashes [Re: BrianLe]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I learned a lesson about stashing "goodies". I had cheese in my stash, so added dry ice. Decided to put one bottle of beer for a treat. When I got to the cache, the dry ice had frozen the beer, which expanded and leaked sticky beer all over my food! Needless to say, I not only had no beer, I had a big mess to clean up and a stale beer smell for the following week.

Many trailheads in California have bear boxes. Although not 100% legal, I have stashed food. I have been careful to make this as small as possible. You must label it and have a return date, or it will be taken by rangers. It is intended for people who park cars and go on a backpack. No food or "smelly stuff" can be left in cars. Some people leave huge coolers of food, so I am not too bothered by taking space with my tiny stash. Bear boxes become very hot so I use dry ice to keep things cool. Anything in direct contact with the dry ice will freeze.

If you use a GPS, get coordinates in addition to a written description, if you stash the food out of sight.

Heat is a real problem. Cheese or chocolate, can become a melted mess. Foods that are not fully dried can become moldy. A black bear can acts like an oven when hit by direct sunlight.

#195093 - 04/25/16 06:23 PM Re: stashes [Re: wandering_daisy]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

All very good information and just what I was in need of. I particularly like the idea of a " half way treat " .....the road is hiway 410 and just north of the pass( chinook ) there's a parking area on the west side of the road. which also has the out houses...I believe the n.bound trail crosses the road on an elevated bridge and then follows the road on the west side for aprox. 3/4mile before peeling off to resume it's northward way. this rest area gets pretty busy during the season. and I imagine lots of casual day hikers use this as their start point for hiking along the ridge.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (04/25/16 06:40 PM)

#195116 - 04/26/16 10:29 PM Re: stashes [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
aimless Online   content

I have been to the Tipsoo Lake Rest Area on Hwy 410 and during high summer it most definitely is well-visited. The rest area itself is on a 1/4 mile spur trail that leads south from the elevated bridge over the highway, while the PCT continues away from the rest area and into Norse Peak wilderness.

#195165 - 04/29/16 09:11 AM Re: stashes [Re: aimless]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

There is also a rest area north from the same bridge. it's associated with chinook over look. not sure about it's age, but has been a fav. motorcycle destination for me for at least 6 years.

#195214 - 05/03/16 04:39 PM Re: stashes [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One thing about caching, in addition to what aimless said--be sure to arrange picking up the container ASAP after you empty it, if you can't take it with you.

A few years back, I read the journal of two young ladies who were hiking the American Discovery Trail. When they got to western Utah and Nevada, where they'd pre-cached water supplies the previous fall, they found most of the water jugs empty and had to make a hasty retreat. They rented a car and went around picking up the mostly empty jugs. They discovered, after setting a partly empty jug on the bed in their motel room, that the jug had developed a leak on the seam across the bottom. Sure enough, nearly all the jugs (the usual gallon plastic jugs of drinking water you purchase at the grocery store) had developed the same leak. They replaced their caches and were able to finish their trip with only one leaky jug. Evidently it's not a good idea to do water caches many months ahead!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/03/16 04:40 PM)

#195217 - 05/03/16 08:25 PM Re: Cache [Re: BrianLe]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Yeah, already have a plan to pick it up on my way back home. And planted a day before I start. Bought a two gallon bucket w/lid and have already stenciled my name on the outside. just for the record ( I will be only caching 6-7days worth of food &a few Topo's. So this is as much an experiment as a energy saving tatic. No water-the area provides plenty, thankfully )....I wouldn't consider leaving anything in my wake.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (05/03/16 10:36 PM)

#195235 - 05/04/16 10:04 PM Re: stashes [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

The cheap plastic jugs that drinking and distilled water are often sold in often develop spontaneous leaks. I keep some on hand for various purposes, like making coffee and mixing antifreeze, and can't tell you how many times one has leaked out while I wasn't watching.

#195236 - 05/04/16 10:35 PM Re: stashes [Re: wgiles]
OregonMouse Offline

That's exactly what happened to the two young ladies I mentioned! It didn't help that they set up the caches about 6 months ahead. By replacing the caches just before they restarted in western Utah, enough of the jugs held up that they were never seriously short of water.

#195238 - 05/05/16 06:38 AM Re: stashes [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

When I buy gallon jugs of bottled water for outdoor activities, I go for the heavier duty ones. I have yet to have one of these leak. I still use the cheap ones around the house.

#195239 - 05/05/16 09:28 AM Re: stashes [Re: wgiles]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I go through a lot of vinegar, and while I haven't done it backpacking, I do sometimes reuse the jugs for water. Works really well.

#195258 - 05/05/16 08:29 PM Re: stashes [Re: 4evrplan]
wgiles Offline

I've done the same thing with empty bleach bottles. The problem with bleach bottles is that the caps are designed to be relief valves and will pop off if you drop the bottles. Vinegar jugs are probably better in that respect.

#195261 - 05/05/16 10:31 PM Re: stashes [Re: wgiles]
OregonMouse Offline

But how long does it take to use up enough vinegar to free up a dozen gallon containers? I doubt if I've used that much vinegar in my lifetime (80 years)!

#195264 - 05/06/16 08:17 AM Re: stashes [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

In my case, it would take a long time. I usually keep a gallon of white vinegar for pickling, but it takes a couple of years to use it. I used to use a lot of bleach for disinfection and had a lot of empty bottles to do something with. I had a couple of 500 gallon per day reverse osmosis machines that I maintained, so I would fill the cleaned empty bleach jugs with purified water. Since I don't do that any more, the easiest thing to do is buy the higher quality gallon water bottles and reuse them.

#195266 - 05/06/16 01:03 PM Re: stashes [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
But how long does it take to use up enough vinegar to free up a dozen gallon containers? I doubt if I've used that much vinegar in my lifetime (80 years)!

Well, my situation is unique I guess, my wife and I are sensitive to strong smells and chemicals, so we use vinegar as a general purpose cleaner and as part of our laundry cleaning routine. We go through a LOT of it! Most of the jugs go to recycling.

#197427 - 01/16/17 01:19 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

I'm planning and dreaming about this summer's hike....when it dawned on me that I never made a report on my org. post....... My late July solo hike was wonderful! ( I never mentioned it but the hike was north from white pass to snoqualmie pass) I made it a point to visit the local usf ranger station to nail down just where I could stash it.The day before starting I planted my 5gallon bucket with an screw on lid (approx 8-9 $us at h.d. where the orange bucket was also bought) out of sight from any normal hiking traffic. With all previously mentioned precautions ...I found it, exchanged needed supplies and dropped off trash. And was on my way in under 30 minutes- the container was retrieved a day after the hike. I was delighted the way this worked out and l'm planning on it again for this summer, where this tactic WILL be needed, on the 150mile section south from whitepass to the Columbia river. A big thanks to all!

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (01/16/17 03:47 PM)

#197433 - 01/16/17 09:12 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
aimless Online   content

Yeah. When it works and the cache is intact, it is a marvelous tool to stay longer on the trail.

the 150 mile section south from whitepass to the Columbia river

Using the method I described early in this thread I have successfully cached food near the trailhead on Road 5603, just north of the Mt. Adams wilderness. It is remote, not a busy trailhead at all, and there's enough road damage from the winter of 2015-16 that you'd need to consult a ranger station about which access roads are passable. But the caches I've laid there (twice) worked out fine.

Your next decent caching opportunity, southbound, would be as you exit Mt Adams wilderness at Road 521, or just a bit further on where the PCT crosses Road 23 by the junction with Road 8810. These locations are very accessible compared to Road 5603.

Have fun! It's a very spectacular section through Goat Rocks and Mt Adams, and still pleasant on most of the less scenic stretches.

#197498 - 01/23/17 02:57 PM Re: Cache [Re: aimless]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Thanks Aimless....have zeroed in on the junction of nf23 & 8810, as my choosen location for the cache. This places it aprox. at the one third mark, by distance & about the half way mark, by difficulty. After the slower goat rocks segment I've heard so much of, from others. Right now it's been raining and flooding for many days now....just right for route planning and formulating this sorta stuff.

#198962 - 08/27/17 12:29 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

hike's over and in the record books. and I've calmed down enough to report back on it. I say "calmed" because while on the hike the cache was stolen! Ultimately I'll have to take responsibility for this since I choose the location) I didn't realize how busy the junction of fs23 and 8810 was until on the trail and heard from other hikers how busy that junction really was-too late to do anything but press on.( hidden when no one was around and the bucket was well placed under a log and inside of a black plastic trash bag.) But, when I passed thru, I couldn't find the cache....looked for about 45 minuets before giving up and continuing on my hike. ( as it turned out I packed way too much food in the bpack as wasn't all that dependent on the cache...I would of liked to add the spare gas canister at that point- but I muddled by without, quite fine) after the hike I returned to both, fine AND retrieve the bucket. looked for about an hour and never came across any sign that it had ever been there. live an learn, I suppose!

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (08/27/17 12:33 PM)

#198966 - 08/27/17 03:43 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
aimless Online   content

Very sorry to hear that, the-grt-waldo. It's hard to believe anyone would be so nasty as to filch the cache of a long-distance hiker. But if it had been an animal, chances are they would not have dragged it more than a few feet out of its hiding place before busting it open and helping themselves. This sounds like it was taken clean away.

Maybe the person involved thought they were 'protecting the wilderness' by removing it, as if it were nothing but abandoned trash. Except that spot is not within the wilderness boundary, and anyone with sense could tell it had not been opened, yet, by the person who placed it.

The only other possibility I can imagine is a combination, where an animal ripped it open and a person cleaned it up later. Seems far-fetched, but not impossible.

#198967 - 08/27/17 04:43 PM Re: Cache [Re: aimless]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

the bucket was a typical 5gallon bucket( you'all have seen them at homedespot), and was fitted with a screw on lid ( not considered air tite, but close to) I even looked at the t.h. trash container as well as the "goodwill" can. I suspect, if it were an animal there would be plastic bits from the trash bag left from the attempt. thanks Aimless but at this point, I've given this more thought than the impact on me would rate. going forward I refuse to let this dampen my enthusiasm. my posting was more of a "head's up" for others wondering about this tactic. myself I will use it again- only be more selective in it's placement.

#198975 - 08/28/17 01:28 PM Re: Cache [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Sorry to hear frown It certainly sounds like it was taken. Did you leave a note on the cache with your name and address and date of retrieval? Sometimes people don't understand what a cache is for and will take them thinking they are removing garbage (or they think they have found a ong lost treasure...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum