Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193687 - 02/16/16 12:06 PM Howdy from Texas
ChiefBilly Offline

Loc: Texas
hello all, new member here. I have never backpacked before but grew up in the outdoors. I am 45 and suffer from RA. I finally got a handle on this terrible disease and feel great! I have always wanted to hike and backpack and decided why wait. I talked my wife into accompanying me. We purchased hiking shoes this past weekend and are going to a local spot this weekend. I am so excited, I cant wait. Just wanted to introduce myself. Billy, 22 year Disabled Navy Veteran. Purchasing Supervisor for a political subdivision of the State of Texas. Glad to be here and read all of this wealth of information.

Billy

#193689 - 02/16/16 12:42 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Welcome! I'm a fellow Texan (and state employee). A college friend of mine lives with RA. Terrible disease. I hope it all works out great for you.

#193690 - 02/16/16 01:03 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
Dryer Offline

What part of Texas, Billy? Welcome aboard, and glad you are charging ahead!

Paul

#193692 - 02/16/16 01:19 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: Dryer]
ChiefBilly Offline

I live in Burleson and work in Fort Worth. heading to the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails next week. Cant wait!

#193695 - 02/16/16 03:17 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! Let us know how the trip goes (we have a section below for trip reports)! Have a good time!

#193697 - 02/16/16 03:29 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

Welcome. Lots of good people here to help you get where you want to go. Have a great hike, and let us know how it goes.

#193699 - 02/16/16 05:44 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Ahoy, matey! As ex-Air Force (3 years, not a career), I was hoping you could explain the difference between a "ship" and a "boat." Every Navy guy I ever met seemed offended if I asked what kind of boat he was on. smile

Sounds like you've achieved a real success. One minor tip from someone who made the mistake of letting my wife go on a trip with me because someone else talked her into it - pick a trip she'll enjoy (and "enjoy" is a matter of perspective.) I tried to convince Karol not to go on a moderately difficult trip with a real mixed bag of OCD and control-freak personalities; she let her friend (latter category) talk her into it, and she ended up taking two trips the same weekend: first and last.

Get her hooked on her first trip, then build up to the harder stuff (if you want - there's no requirement that you ever do really hard trips. That's the neatest part of this sport -you can make it fit your needs and desires, not vice versa.)

Welcome, have fun, and ask lots of questions. We can mislead you with the best of them. And don't forget my definition. smile

#193702 - 02/16/16 09:51 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
Dryer Offline

Billy, you have tons of hiking sites from which to choose! In Dallas County, search "Dallas County Nature Preserves". I take care of one with 6 miles of trails. There are three more near here (south part of the county) with yet more hiking. In Ft. Worth there is the Trinity Trail along Trinity Park near Botanical Gardens. So many day hikes near you! Take it slow, learn about trail runner shoes, maybe consider trekking poles.

#193703 - 02/16/16 10:17 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: Dryer]
toddfw2003 Offline

Hey I am from Houston. There is a lot of stuff in between us Like Davy Crockett and Sam houston national forest. If you want to drive lost maples is really nice too

#193706 - 02/17/16 09:24 AM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ChiefBilly Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Ahoy, matey! As ex-Air Force (3 years, not a career), I was hoping you could explain the difference between a "ship" and a "boat." Every Navy guy I ever met seemed offended if I asked what kind of boat he was on. smile

Sounds like you've achieved a real success. One minor tip from someone who made the mistake of letting my wife go on a trip with me because someone else talked her into it - pick a trip she'll enjoy (and "enjoy" is a matter of perspective.) I tried to convince Karol not to go on a moderately difficult trip with a real mixed bag of OCD and control-freak personalities; she let her friend (latter category) talk her into it, and she ended up taking two trips the same weekend: first and last.

Get her hooked on her first trip, then build up to the harder stuff (if you want - there's no requirement that you ever do really hard trips. That's the neatest part of this sport -you can make it fit your needs and desires, not vice versa.)

Welcome, have fun, and ask lots of questions. We can mislead you with the best of them. And don't forget my definition. smile

Ha Ha Boats are what the coast guard use, little bitty things. Ships are mighty warfighting vessels to be proud of. I bet you see now how you offended them LOL Thanks for the wifey tip. I have actually thought of that, I have chosen a nice flat trail with lots to see to include the bison area. Make it enjoyable for us both and work up to steeper stuff later. Its all about being together for us, we are never apart and I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy spending this short life with her, she is my best friend, So I certainly don't want to scare her off hiking with me. Thanks for ALL the replies, I feel very welcome here already!

Billy

#193707 - 02/17/16 09:25 AM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: toddfw2003]
ChiefBilly Offline

Originally Posted By toddfw2003
Hey I am from Houston. There is a lot of stuff in between us Like Davy Crockett and Sam houston national forest. If you want to drive lost maples is really nice too

I been eyeballing that Sam Houston hike. I may do that in sections. Looks like tons of fun.

#193708 - 02/17/16 09:47 AM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Lost Maples is one of my favorite places on God's green earth!

ChiefBilly (or anyone really), if you want to come to Davy Crockett at some point and want to meet up for a hike, you should let me know. Just send me a private message (PM).

#193716 - 02/17/16 03:58 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
So THAT's the difference! Huh. We just called them all "Targets." (I've been waiting a long time to use that one. smile )

Sounds like you've got what you want out of our little sport figured out. (I often hesitate to call backpacking a "sport" because it makes it sound competitive, but I haven't figured out any better description.)

Enjoy, don't forget to file trip reports, and keep us posted on any tips and tricks you figure out.

#193717 - 02/17/16 05:06 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: 4evrplan]
ChiefBilly Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan

Lost Maples is one of my favorite places on God's green earth!

ChiefBilly (or anyone really), if you want to come to Davy Crockett at some point and want to meet up for a hike, you should let me know. Just send me a private message (PM).

Awesome! Will do.

#193723 - 02/18/16 01:39 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: Dryer]
ChiefBilly Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
Billy, you have tons of hiking sites from which to choose! In Dallas County, search "Dallas County Nature Preserves". I take care of one with 6 miles of trails. There are three more near here (south part of the county) with yet more hiking. In Ft. Worth there is the Trinity Trail along Trinity Park near Botanical Gardens. So many day hikes near you! Take it slow, learn about trail runner shoes, maybe consider trekking poles.

Thanks Paul! I'm going to do that Dallas County search right now.

#193735 - 02/18/16 11:53 PM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: ChiefBilly]
Dryer Offline

I take care of "Windmill Hill Nature Preserve". Let me know if you decide to come here. I'll guide you. grin

#193743 - 02/19/16 09:45 AM Re: Howdy from Texas [Re: Dryer]
ChiefBilly Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
I take care of "Windmill Hill Nature Preserve". Let me know if you decide to come here. I'll guide you. grin

Awesome! Ill take you up on that.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum