Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193153 - 01/13/16 05:43 PM Solar powered light
bluefish Offline

https://www.mpowerd.com/
We've used this light for 2 trips now and have yet to run out of light, even after a long winter's evening of use. I hung it in a shelter on the AT and it provided enough light for us and another couple to do chores, cook and socialize. It was very cheery, especially as the other couple showed up after dark and very nervous, having gotten off trail. Our hung light ended up as an unwitting beacon. It lights the tent interior very well, but I prefer the light set behind to read by. I don't read, I don't sleep, just a habit. We also used it for a night hike on a snowy trail with lots of blow downs and they worked well enough to inspire confidence. Ours is clear in the back where the solar batteries are and bleeds light backwards. It's enough where someone can walk behind and see as long as they stay within 4-5 feet. My previous light was a Petzl Tikka which is a good light, but with spare batteries is several ounces heavier than the 4 oz. Luci. First trip was with one headlamp and one Luci. Second trip was 2 Luci lanterns. We agreed the second trip had superior lighting! Great to hang 2 lamps in camp at night. Long nights made a little more cheery. We used them collapsed as flashlights, blown up as lanterns and hung them on our packs to charge on the trail with mini-biners. 12 hrs. of light on an 8 hr. charge. There's 3 settings- mid-bright, bright and flashing/emergency. The 12 hrs. is for the mid-bright- which is what we used almost exclusively. This may have been covered here before, but I though I'd re-visit it for newcomers to the site or backpacking in general. We paid 14.99 apiece for them.

Edited by bluefish (01/13/16 06:04 PM)

#193154 - 01/13/16 11:14 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
How would you recharge them while backpacking? Generally I only have about an hour of low angle sun in camp before dark. Do the "bleed" charge when not used?

I guess for that price, it is worth a try anyway.

#193157 - 01/14/16 12:14 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We use one of these too, and love it. If it needs a charge, I just strap it on the outside of my pack--but it charges pretty darn fast in strong sunlight. And a charge lasts about six hours, as I recall--we've never had it go out.

It's a nice little piece of equipment...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193158 - 01/14/16 01:01 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: balzaccom]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I'm intrigued. Anyone use the smaller version?

#193161 - 01/14/16 07:39 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: wandering_daisy]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
How would you recharge them while backpacking? Generally I only have about an hour of low angle sun in camp before dark. Do the "bleed" charge when not used?

I guess for that price, it is worth a try anyway.

They charge quite well hanging on your pack as you hike, as they are waterproof, somewhat shock resistant and will charge in cloudy skies, too. They maintain their charge very well. One day in the sun's charge could be divided into (3) 4 hr, evening uses. The mfg.s say that they will only lose 50% of their charge over a year. Partial charging is also a non-issue. I have even more confidence in them, seeing another member here having used and liked them. I haven't seen the smaller one yet, but will purchase one to try out. At the price, really can't lose. Great for emergency use or work for that matter. I may keep one on the back window of my work truck.

#193165 - 01/14/16 10:29 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I got four of these a year or two ago as a gift and they work pretty darn good. I think I posted about them here. They give off a great smooth and even light.

They were very handy when our power went out during the storms that caused the floods here a few weeks ago. I leave them on a window sill to charge when not in use.

I've used them backpacking a few times and they worked great. I've used them to walk from my house to the barn on dark nights and they give off enough light to hike in a forest. If you strap two of them to your hips you get a ton of light all around you and no glare in your eyes and I've thought of making a way to attach them to my pack to use that way.

Mine are a little different. They have a reflective surface on the opposite side of the solar panel, but I think these are all made under the same license.

http://sunlightlantern.com

"You want to go where?"

#193190 - 01/15/16 10:59 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: billstephenson]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Looks like Sunlight ripped them off.

ETA: Or not. If you read down to the bottom of the report, it's not so clear who ripped off who.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/15/16 11:03 AM)

#193194 - 01/15/16 01:37 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

I don't think there's a rip-off involved, just a licensing agreement.

As I recall these were first developed by some students or a crowdfunding project as a way to provide light in very poor areas around the globe and for disaster relief, so I'd expect the licensing agreement is used to fund that goal.

"You want to go where?"

#193216 - 01/17/16 12:56 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: billstephenson]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I don't think there's a rip-off involved, just a licensing agreement.

As I recall these were first developed by some students or a crowdfunding project as a way to provide light in very poor areas around the globe and for disaster relief, so I'd expect the licensing agreement is used to fund that goal.

You're probably remembering LuminAID. They're still around as well. I had two of the original ones from Kickstarter (I think, might have been one of the other crowdfunding sites). Worked quite well.

#193220 - 01/17/16 04:33 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: JustWalking]
billstephenson Offline

You probably right about that. I probably did confuse the two. I looked and two of mine don't have any logo at all on them, just the patent number and instructions in a few different languages. One of them has a "Sunlight" logo on it. They're at http://sunlightlantern.com

"You want to go where?"

#193251 - 01/19/16 01:43 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've been messing around with the little solar yard lights from the Dollar store, Wal-Mart, etc. The ones in our yard have lasted more than 2 years and provide way more light than I want in camp. I typically use a coin cell light, both in white and red. I'll sometimes read in my hammock where "less is more" with respect to light.
The little solar yard lights when stripped down, make a little "puck" you can attach to your pack to charge during the day. They last all night.

#193269 - 01/20/16 11:41 AM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
BZH Online   content

Loc: Madison, AL
What does the inflatable plastic part do? Is there a reflector on the top to direct the light radially? Or does it just diffuse the light somewhat?

#193271 - 01/20/16 01:59 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: BZH]
billstephenson Offline

I think it just diffuses the light.

On mine the bottom panel opposite the LEDs has a mirror finish, and so does the top panel where the LEDS are. I imagine this helps to increase and diffuse the light that's broadcast out the clear side panel, but it does leave a dark spot below the light when it's hanging above you.

I know I harp on this too much, but the reflective surfaces inside my campfire tent create a wonderful even light with just a single inexpensive LED headlamp. I set it on the floor and point it up and away from me and there's no glare inside at all and plenty of light to read. If they incorporated this somehow into commercial backpacking tents it would be a pretty nice feature.

"You want to go where?"

#193276 - 01/20/16 02:56 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: BZH]
bluefish Offline

In the thread, testing testing, if you go to the picture link it shows how well the light is dispersed in its diffused, lantern mode. It is somewhat more of a beam when collapsed. Since we've night hiked with it when it was snowing twice now, I know it works pretty well. When it is inflated it is also able to float and is very hard to damage. Not for everyone, by any means, but it works for my wife and I and lots of people off the grid.

#193664 - 02/14/16 07:05 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

The smaller ones were on sale at Big 5 for about $10. I bought one. The problem is that the instructions are minimal. I tried to blow it up but nothing happened. Do you have to poke a hole in the little "straw" with the plug? Sorry if this is obvious and I just do not get it.

The only thing I see that may be a problem with me is that it is pretty bulky. But the light seems bright. I just cannot get it inflated.

#193667 - 02/14/16 08:12 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: wandering_daisy]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
The smaller ones were on sale at Big 5 for about $10. I bought one. The problem is that the instructions are minimal. I tried to blow it up but nothing happened. Do you have to poke a hole in the little "straw" with the plug? Sorry if this is obvious and I just do not get it.

The only thing I see that may be a problem with me is that it is pretty bulky. But the light seems bright. I just cannot get it inflated.

https://www.mpowerd.com/sites/all/themes...User_Manual.pdf

WD, I had trouble the first time. I had to pinch the bladder part of the valve hard and pull down on the section that expands a little. Once it did, it became easier, and moreso as I've used them.

#193672 - 02/15/16 12:19 PM Re: Solar powered light [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

Thanks. Your tips worked.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum