Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186418 - 08/03/14 07:01 PM Sleeping Bag advice for College Student
mgret33 Offline

Hi, I'm a college student looking for a new sleeping bag. I'm debating whether or not to spend a ton of money. I'm looking for a bag between about 15-25ish degrees (definitely not warmer than 25).

I have some bags I'm considering in the $300 range at a somewhat lower price range.

1. The North Face blue kazoo ($280, 20 degrees, 2 lbs 7 oz, 8.1 L)
2. The REI Joule ($300, 23 degrees, 2 lbs 2 oz, 6 L)
3. The North Face green kazoo ($340, 2 lbs 15 oz, 9.5 L)
4. Big Agnes Lithia ($350, 15 degrees, 2 lbs 9 oz, 8.3 L)

Then there are a couple bags I'm considering in the pricier range.
1. The Feathered Friends Egret ($380-$450, 20 degrees, 1 lb 12 oz)
2. Mountain Hardware Phantasia ($500, 15 degrees, 2 lbs)

So I'm only 111 lbs, so I can't carry a huge load, so I suppose the lighter weight is pretty important. I also want something thats comfortable too. But I'm not sure how worth it it is to go for the super light weight sleeping bags. Any advice is appreciated.

#186420 - 08/03/14 09:41 PM Re: Sleeping Bag advice for College Student [Re: mgret33]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The very best, IMHO, would be from Western Mountaineering (with Feathered Friends a close second). My WM Ultralite, in short size weighs 25 oz. and (with help from all my insulating clothing) has kept me cozy warm at 15*F. Properly cared for, it will last 20 years to a lifetime. I paid $325 for mine in December 2006; the current price is $470. Ouch! Amortized over 20 years at $24/year, though, not too bad if you can afford the up-front cost. Their temperature ratings are highly accurate (while WM peculiarly doesn't list EN13537 ratings on their website, they can be found on UK dealers' websites).

Then there's the low budget option, the Kelty Cosmic Down 20, recommended for beginners and Scouts. It's lower quality down so is heavier and will have a shorter life. Short length is 2 lbs. 7 oz. and $160. Assuming an 8 year life if well cared for, it also amortizes to $24/year. (My assumption on the life may be way off--I have no experience with 550 fill down--I just assume from what I've read that the useful life will be longer than the 5 year life for synthetic insulation but a lot less than 850+ fill down.) It is EN13537 rated. You'd carry an extra pound and more bulk than with the WM Ultralite--only you can decide about weight vs. the lower initial price.

Three important things to watch for when shopping for sleeping bags--and these are the only reasonably objective criteria:

(1) The down fill rating, which, as mentioned, has to do with quality, longevity and how much down is needed to insulate to a given temperature. High quality bags are about 850+, low quality are 550-600; medium quality would be about 700-750. More about down fill ratings. (Also explains why the cost of high quality down is escalating so rapidly.)

(2) The EN13537 temperature ratings, which is the only objective measure (although not entirely accurate) of a sleeping bag's insulating capacity. They are certainly far more accurate than those made up by companies' marketing departments, which has hitherto been the case. Do note that there are two important ratings: the "lower limit" for men/warm sleepers is generally 9* to 10* F lower than the "comfort limit" for women/cold sleepers. While the manufacturer ratings for the really high-end bags (WM, Feathered Friends) are pretty close to the actual "lower limit," do not trust the temperature rating of any less expensive sleeping bag that doesn't have an EN13537 rating, or at least raise the stated rating by 10-15* F. More on EN13537 ratings

(3) Girth measurements--you need to fit into the sleeping bag wearing all your insulating/puffy clothing, without compressing the insulation of either your clothing or the sleeping bag. Remember that shoulder girth is not your chest measurement; it's measured around your shoulders and should be done while wearing your puffiest jacket. Sme of the really light bags are awfully narrow! There's also a subjective element here; some folks need lots of wiggle room to be comfortable, while others like things snug.

I suggest you compare your list of sleeping bags using the criteria above, which are relatively objective, and then look at price and weight. You may (or may not) be surprised!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/03/14 10:52 PM)

#186421 - 08/03/14 10:40 PM Re: Sleeping Bag advice for College Student [Re: OregonMouse]
mgret33 Offline

Wow! Thank you for this great advice.

#186429 - 08/04/14 08:59 AM Re: Sleeping Bag advice for College Student [Re: mgret33]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
all I know is, when I was in college, the only thing I spent $300 on was a car. 1989 Mercury Sable...just sayin'...

Edited by dylansdad77 (08/04/14 08:59 AM)

#186432 - 08/04/14 09:46 AM Re: Sleeping Bag advice for College Student [Re: dylansdad77]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's quite a steal. Our first car was bought when we were in college (just married), a 1951 Mercury for $200. That was in 1959, when the dollar bought at least twice as much as it does now!

Do note that because of the longer life of the high-quality down, the cost per year is about the same for el cheapo and el expensivo! Of course the up-front cost is the limiting factor. If you have to pay credit card interest for the expensive one, or go without food for a couple of weeks, it's not worth it!

It may be that high quality down, rapidly escalating in price, is going to be far beyond anyone except millionaires before long.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/04/14 09:48 AM)

#186463 - 08/05/14 08:53 PM Re: Sleeping Bag advice for College Student [Re: mgret33]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamia is a quality bag for the price, but keep in mind if it gets too warm you can't zip all the way. It's worth mentioning if you don't mind synthetic over down. I paid $195 for mine when I was in college, but I think it has gone up in price since.

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/05/14 08:53 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum