Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184751 - 04/28/14 10:28 PM Summer vs Winter backpacking
nashscan Offline

Loc: Middle TN
Sorry if this is a hashed out topic, I did do a few searches first.

Here's what I'm thinking...I think I am going to find Winter backpacking much more appealing than summer backpacking. In the winter, there's no pesky bugs or snakes to worry about. Campfires are much more meaningful and rewarding. You CAN have the gear you need to get warm at night.

During the Summer, you are probably going to get eaten alive by blood sucking insects and ticks. Campfires are too hot, you can't cool off at night during the heat of the summer, and you need a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Who's with me?

#184752 - 04/28/14 10:46 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Who's with me?

Significant numbers of backpackers south of the Mason-Dixon Line! But here in Oregon, although we have lots of bloodsucking insects in July, the summers are mild and starting August 1 and continuing through Labor Day the high mountain trails are at their prime.

#184754 - 04/28/14 11:41 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: aimless]
nashscan Offline

Ha! I can imagine those of you in the Pacific Northwest treasure your Summers like they are sacred and holy.

#184757 - 04/29/14 01:33 AM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
What do you mean by "winter"? I have winter camped in Yosemite in February a few times up above the Valley floor. Full winter with snow on the ground. It takes a different skill set than summer and shouldn't be taken lightly.

#184758 - 04/29/14 07:23 AM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: TomD]
bluefish Offline

I've camped at lower elevations in Tenn. and NC in the winter and it compares to what I call shoulder seasons. 20 degrees for a low with bare ground is not exactly winter camping as most would describe it. I would find it much preferable to hot nights in the summer. Then again, you can head east a few hours and get up high on Roan Mt. and be more comfortable in the summer, or experience what winter camping truly is. It's a relative thing.

#184761 - 04/29/14 09:49 AM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By nashscan

Here's what I'm thinking...I think I am going to find Winter backpacking much more appealing than summer backpacking. In the winter, there's no pesky bugs or snakes to worry about. Campfires are much more meaningful and rewarding. You CAN have the gear you need to get warm at night.

During the Summer, you are probably going to get eaten alive by blood sucking insects and ticks. Campfires are too hot, you can't cool off at night during the heat of the summer, and you need a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Who's with me?

I've noticed you're in middle Tennessee, I've backpacked the Smokies both in July and December. High elevations in the Smokies is very bearable in summer months. I camped at Tri-Corner Knob in July (this is 6,300 feet or so) and the temperature dropped down into the 50s at night. The humidity is much lower through out the day compared to the valley. With that said, winter and fall are still the best seasons to backpack in this area. cool

Edited by ETSU Pride (04/29/14 09:49 AM)

#184763 - 04/29/14 12:05 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Who's with me?

I am for sure. For me camping season starts in late October and ends around the beginning of April. In between is exactly as you've described, and it's pretty miserable.

You might consider a look at campfire tents like this one I made. They can make winter camping pretty nice.

Originally Posted By bluefish
20 degrees for a low with bare ground is not exactly winter camping as most would describe it.

I don't know... We don't consider the baseline for describing Summer camping out west Death Valley, nor Winter camping The Sierras above 10,000 ft. If we did, camping at Yellowstone in July isn't exactly Summer camping as most would describe it.

"You want to go where?"

#184765 - 04/29/14 12:49 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Who's with me?

I am for sure. For me camping season starts in late October and ends around the beginning of April. In between is exactly as you've described, and it's pretty miserable.

You might consider a look at campfire tents like this one I made. They can make winter camping pretty nice.

20 degrees for a low with bare ground is not exactly winter camping as most would describe it.

I don't know... We don't consider the baseline for describing Summer camping out west Death Valley, nor Winter camping The Sierras above 10,000 ft. If we did, camping at Yellowstone in July isn't exactly Summer camping as most would describe it.

A glittering generalization. As I did say, it's all relative. To me, winter means snow and low temps. To others, whatever they live in.

#184767 - 04/29/14 03:59 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Up here in the Pacific NW, there's no way I'm going to backpack when nights are 15 hours long. That's far too long to be stuck in a tent!

#184768 - 04/29/14 04:06 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Even with George Clooney? smile

Sorry, Mouse, couldn't resist. Just finished a seven-hour drive on I-75, so a bit warped.

#184769 - 04/29/14 04:13 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Now you have me wondering if George Clooney snores. laugh

#184770 - 04/29/14 05:55 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm far too old for that!

#184771 - 04/29/14 06:09 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

To me, winter means snow and low temps.

I get it. It is a broad generalization though because you can do that in Tennessee, and here in the Ozarks, but 3-season gear doesn't really work that great in winter here. It's too cold for that most of the winter.

"You want to go where?"

#184772 - 04/29/14 07:42 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: ETSU Pride]
nashscan Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride

Who's with me?

I've noticed you're in middle Tennessee, I've backpacked the Smokies both in July and December. High elevations in the Smokies is very bearable in summer months. I camped at Tri-Corner Knob in July (this is 6,300 feet or so) and the temperature dropped down into the 50s at night. The humidity is much lower through out the day compared to the valley. With that said, winter and fall are still the best seasons to backpack in this area. cool

Can you recommend any high elevation trails in the Smokies suitable for a beginner?

#184777 - 04/30/14 12:49 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
bluefish Offline

Quote:
Can you recommend any high elevation trails in the Smokies suitable for a beginner?

Site 24 in the GSMNP Elkmont- Little River. Easy hike and gorgeous. I've used it for fishing. You'd go through Maryville and Townsend to get to the trailhead. Not really high elevation, but a great beginner's backpack. Roan Highlands out of the park.

#184782 - 04/30/14 02:57 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I like both!, and all the seasons in between. Here in the west, you just hike different regions, depending on the seasons.

In the summer, I go to high elevations, where the temps are cool. I wear bug netting. In the winter, it is nice to have no bugs, bears, or dirt. I generally tell people that don't like camping because it is dirty, buggy and lots of animals that they should try it in the winter.

#184787 - 04/30/14 10:09 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It is all very dependent on WHERE you backpack. I summer backpack in the high Sierra and Wind Rivers where I have been snowed on in August and had a week where daytime temperatures were barely above freezing. I have also done 2-3 week winter mountaineering in the Wind Rivers and the Tetons(daytime highs of 0F, night lows of -40 F)- cannot say that I ever really enjoyed that - was more of winter survival exercises. I now "winter" backpack on the Pacific coast or the southern deserts. Summer on the coast is fog season; winter, although you have to watch out for rain, can actually be warmer and no fog.

Winter is just a season - very different in different parts of the country.

Serious winter condition backpacking at high altitudes is SERIOUS business requiring specialized gear and training.

I like it all. I DO however, avoid peak mosquito season, whatever time of year it falls. Not liking creepy-crawlies, or hot humid conditions, I may not ever backpack in the southeast.

#184788 - 04/30/14 10:13 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
[

Sorry, I'm not ignoring you. I just relocated back to the area and been going through interview process for a potential new job! The AT runs through the middle of the Park and a huge chunk of highest peaks that are accessible, including the top two tallest mountains in Tennessee, are not what I consider easy hike. There are some other campsites that are around 4,000 feet that might be suitable for beginners but getting there might be long walk, but the elevation gain shouldn't be as steep as say, Mt. Sterling, or any of the fame peaks on the AT. As other suggested, Roan Highlands near Elizabethan, TN might be an easier climb and you'll get wonderful views!!!!! (Might get sunburnt here if you're not covered. There are no shades!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm heading to the Smokies this weekend, and once I finish this new interview process I'll give you some tips on where to go in Smokies. I'm wayyyyy tooooo tired to actually look into it at the moment, but there is a short hike to a campsite that around 5,000 feet, but I have never been there. I just noticed it on a map and I can imagine that be shortest and easiest one to do..

Edited by ETSU Pride (04/30/14 10:15 PM)

#184792 - 05/01/14 12:32 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Great post W_D!

I have never backpacked when highs were 0º, that's way below my comfort zone eek, but I have been snowed on in the Summer while backpacking in the the Sierras and that sure isn't going to happen here. And I've done a lot of winter camping in So Cal when it was just lovely out.

I don't backpack here in the Summer at all for the same reasons you and others mention, and I generally discourage it when asked about it (or whenever it comes up). It's very much akin, although at the other end of extreme, to your winter mountaineering in the Wind Rivers and the Tetons. There probably isn't near the risks to life or limb but those exist. It's really more an exercise in misery endurance, which seems to be descriptive of the trips you mentioned as well. I walked a couple miles to school as a kid quite a few times when it was 10-20º below 0º and howling winds, so I'm somewhat familiar with that.

I like my trips to be in near perfect conditions now. I have nothing to prove to myself anymore. 20º nights are easy with the right gear here, so that qualifies.

"You want to go where?"

#184799 - 05/01/14 06:25 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

http://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/mount-mitchell-state-park/camp-alice-commissary
Mt. Mitchell, isn't very much farther than the Smokies- not far from Asheville right on the parkway. Highest point east of the Missisipi. with spectacular views, and relatively easy trails. Only downside are the bears (follow precautions) and the hemlocks dying from the wooly adelgids. I guess I'm partial to this area because we threw the ashes from one of the closest friends I'll ever have into the South Toe River on its flanks. That was a bittersweet hike.

#185009 - 05/10/14 09:57 AM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: bluefish]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Both "seasons" have there good and bad points. I prefer the warmer times, but I'm not talking humid and hot eastern conditions. Winter not only takes different gear, but a little more knowledge if talking cold temps and is less foregiving if wrong decisions are made. I'm out year 'round, whether 90F or -7F. The last few years have been poor for winter camping, very little snow to make use of here in Kalifornia. I mostly leave from my yard, saving gas by going close to home. If not bping, I'm out car camping, making use of my stove collection for either type of trip. It took awhile to get gear for colder, full on winter trips, due to needing warmer clothes and a good bag.
Duane

#185394 - 05/26/14 09:56 PM Re: Summer vs Winter backpacking [Re: nashscan]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
Between family and job I can’t limit myself to a season or two or I would never get to go. The season does determine where I go though. Mount Mitchell, IMHO, is the best place to go in the summer time in the southeast. The temps rarely get above 70 at the summit. Shining Rock Wilderness Area is also a good summer location. However, the two weeks between summer and what we call winter is my favorite season.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum