Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182031 - 01/16/14 11:23 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rockchucker22]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
I've been looking at cook sets, and like the idea of the twin cups that nestle inside as we have been using stainless insulated mugs I got from Marlboro when I was a smoker (been 3 1/2 years now). But the pot are much larger and heavier than the one we have (1.75 lit) and so I'd prefer to go smaller unless it's a dual pot set where we can leave one behind depending on our situation.

Our plates are Chinese aluminum from some silly cheap "Boyscout" type mess kits that fit under the pot inside the bag. Not a big deal, but plastic ones than nestle inside would help keep the size and weight down a bit.

Are there any 2 person cookware sets with a pot ~1 liter that come with insulated cups and plates? I figure that ought to be plenty for 2 large cups of coffee (and a hot cocoa in the winter for the wee one) and rehydrating 2.5 meals.

I don't think we've ever used the little skillet that doubles as a lid, but I do want a lid.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#182032 - 01/16/14 11:46 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rodwha]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras

#182033 - 01/16/14 11:49 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

#182034 - 01/16/14 11:56 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

#182038 - 01/17/14 12:09 AM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rockchucker22]
rodwha Offline

Yes. Something very much like that. It seems all the ones I've been finding are both much larger though. Maybe it's not quite the big sea as it will at least get the cups inside the pot. So ultimately it is still saving space.

I've sorta figured a 3 person set makes more sense as our daughter will only get bigger, and when it's cool in the morning we will make her hot cocoa while we drink coffee. But that sure does make the pot even BIGGER and heavier!

Edited by rodwha (01/17/14 12:39 AM)

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#182039 - 01/17/14 12:51 AM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rodwha]
rodwha Offline

I'm beginning to wonder if I could just buy 3 of the MSR cups and fit them inside my Optimus pot. Though my pot's a little smaller their kit comes with 2 bowls. Even if they are slightly tall it would still go together.

Hmmmm…

#182043 - 01/17/14 09:14 AM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rodwha]
bluefish Offline

Look at the GSI Dualist. http://www.rei.com/product/830774/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-dualist-ultralight-cookset It has 4 bowls, 2 of which have lids with a sipping cut out to drink from. It has 2 sporks and a strainer lid. I found I can also put my stove and fuel cannister inside and some other odds and ends. You can use the lids as 3 small plates, and still have 4 bowls. It also has a cover for the set that you can collect water in or use as a small sink. It weighs 1lb. 5.6oz. It's easily done 100 meals so far with no failures and little wear.

#182044 - 01/17/14 09:44 AM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rodwha]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"On extended trips (2+ weeks) how do you guys manage your clothes? It seems you'd only want an extra set with the idea of "washing" them along the way (no soap) in a creek or some such. We don't mind getting a little dirty and wearing the same stuff for the weekend, but I'm not so sure about a month, or even a week!"

As Oregon Mouse said, you don't really *need* that much in the way of clothing. A common saying among long distance hikers is that if you can't put all of your clothing on all at the same time (and in coldest conditions want to do so), then you're carrying too much. Too much weight and bulk in clothing is likely the most common issue that makes packs too heavy.

That said, related to the "minimize clothing" mantra is a degree of experience to make that work safely and with acceptable comfort. It's partly about 'style' issues, such as wearing rain clothing while waiting in a laundromat. I personally carry a light pair of shorts and t-shirt that I can wear, putting a puffy jacket over that if cold, and I look a little less like a pervert in the laundromat thereby. The shorts double as spare underwear, so there's little added weight or bulk.

I pretty much never wash clothing in the woods. I find I'm fine for a week or so, never had any health/hygiene issues as a result, but definitely do appreciate the shower and chance to wash clothes when resupplying in towns.

But bottom line, if you're long distance hiking the chances are that you neither have nor want an "extra set" of clothing.

#182046 - 01/17/14 11:39 AM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: bluefish]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I have the MSR Quick 2 System Cookset. I really don't like it. The mugs are too small and the lids don't stay tight. The one pot is way to big for anything we do and of course the shared lid is way bigger than the smaller pot that is the better size for us. And the plates? Never used them. I just bought a silicon "lid" thing that I hope will fit the smaller pot and I still haven't found a light weight mug that meets my needs (I like to start the hike and drink my tea as I walk in the morning - so I want like 20 ounces, a lid that I can close and a hook so I can hook the empty (or not-so empty) mug on to my backpack so I can just put it away at the next rest stop AND I want the mug to be very light weight - and the perfect mug could also be used as a soup mug (so maybe wider than the average mug)... crazy)

Something I saw on a "survivalist" blog is using the Klean Kanteen stainless steel uninsulated water bottles as a cookpot. I hope to give this a try soon - I just boil water for my cooking so this might work out.

#182047 - 01/17/14 12:01 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: Heather-ak]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
I have the MSR Quick 2 System Cookset. I really don't like it. The mugs are too small and the lids don't stay tight. The one pot is way to big for anything we do and of course the shared lid is way bigger than the smaller pot that is the better size for us. And the plates? Never used them. I just bought a silicon "lid" thing that I hope will fit the smaller pot and I still haven't found a light weight mug that meets my needs (I like to start the hike and drink my tea as I walk in the morning - so I want like 20 ounces, a lid that I can close and a hook so I can hook the empty (or not-so empty) mug on to my backpack so I can just put it away at the next rest stop AND I want the mug to be very light weight - and the perfect mug could also be used as a soup mug (so maybe wider than the average mug)... crazy)

Something I saw on a "survivalist" blog is using the Klean Kanteen stainless steel uninsulated water bottles as a cookpot. I hope to give this a try soon - I just boil water for my cooking so this might work out.

a bit expensive but very close to what you want

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007S3OWV0

They also make a stainless steal model that is less expensive.

#182048 - 01/17/14 12:09 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rockchucker22]
Heather-ak Offline

AARG - of course this looks like a darn excellent fit. But $99?!

mad

wink

#182049 - 01/17/14 12:13 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: Heather-ak]
rodwha Offline

I decided to weigh our cooking/eating gear (for two) to make it easier to compare. albs 2 oz.

I don't feel the need to have 3 plates/bowls as one of us can just eat from the pot. But I would like 3 insulated cups.

So far SWMBO has just been sharing her plate and spork with our daughter. Otherwise she is quite messy and VERY sloooooooow! Hopefully this will change soon! grin

The weight of the cook set itself is just shy of a pound. And since all of this is barely broken in at this point is seems to make sense to me to try to find cups that will fit inside the pot just to reduce space needed. My Marlboro stainless mugs claim to hold 15 oz, and this has to be where a large bit of that weight is coming from as the "plates" are thin cheap aluminum and our sporks are plastic. Sure wish I knew if those MSR cups would fit with 3...

REI doesn't offer the MSR mugs alone, and I didn't see any others that were either designed to fit side by side or that stacked and were small enough (they have pint glasses). I'd like to take my pot and see if they'd fit in there well enough. Stackable would be nice in that the stove can fit inside of a cup.

I do like the "sink" type container for GSI sets. Though I don't see the need for a sink as I'd just use the pot, it would be nice to be able to hold more water, especially if you found you needed to boil drinking water. It's a good idea anyway…

When we go on our typical 3 day/2 night trips down here where it's usually fairly humid, I find myself in dire need of a shower. I'm a sweater and have oily skin. I can't see myself being good with going a full week unless maybe it was cool and dry.

I always take extra socks and boxers, but have gotten away from extra clothes. I often have brought some with hygiene, towels, and flip flops that are left in the truck incase we want to bathe before we head out, but we've only done so once.

#182051 - 01/17/14 12:20 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: rodwha]
Heather-ak Offline

#182052 - 01/17/14 12:21 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: Heather-ak]
rodwha Offline

Those MSR mugs you have are the 10 oz ones right? I'd think they'd be a little small but doable. I'd rather have their 12 oz ones, but what's a couple more ounces of coffee?

Like you, I don't need a bigger pot (2.5 lit) as our 1.75 lit pot seems to be more than adequate. But I also see that if I went with the MSR Alpinist 2 System set I could add that third cup. Though it's more than what we need it's overall size is smaller as the cups are now stashed away.And at 23 oz it weighs less than my 34 oz system I have now.

But that brings me back around to whether or not I could get three mugs into my current pot. The sizes aren't so different when the lack of bowls are considered. And my skillet lid only rests on top. The bag is what holds it together.

I am slightly concerned about the lids not attaching securely. A lid is a good thing on a little one's mug! And might be good for us on really cold days.

#182053 - 01/17/14 12:32 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: Heather-ak]
rodwha Offline

If I knew 3 would fit…

3 of those mugs weigh about what my two mugs weigh.

#182054 - 01/17/14 12:34 PM Re: Slightly Lighter Weight [Re: Heather-ak]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
AARG - of course this looks like a darn excellent fit. But $99?!

mad

wink
I've looked at the bot a hundred times and every time I look at the price and walk away.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum