Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167619 - 07/04/12 05:15 PM Backpacking With Imbalance
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Flew off a speed bump on my bike in the dark last November (landed on one hip) and still getting some pain in my hips when I walk. Plus some serious clicking. I've had some massage and doing yoga 2x a week plus back to riding my bike 3x a week (50km a day).

I'm a little reluctant to take on longer distance backpacking as I'm not sure of the abilities of my hips and back right now. Guess I'll try some 2-4 hour day hikes in a week or two when my friend and I camp out at the river. For a while there I couldn't walk for an hour without getting some pain and limping a little. I suppose I could just take along some ibuprofin or anacin for the second half of the day.

Anyone else have this kind of issue and how long did it take to disappear completely?

#167627 - 07/04/12 07:14 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: wildthing]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
A bit over two years ago I was hit from behind by a drunk while I was riding. The guy was doing 65-70 mph and hit me mostly on my left thigh and butt. There were two broken bones: one near the lower end of the left fibula; the other, one of the fingers on my right hand that was only diagnosed after the break had healed. There was a lot of muscle damage from the impact with the car as well as heavy duty road rash from a hard landing on the tarmac. I landed hard on my left hip and there was a fair amount of pain in the joint for a month or so but no clicking.

I don't think I am yet 100% of what I was when I was hit but at 75 years old, I don't ever expect to be. I was back on my bike for easy rides within three weeks and was day-hiking again in a couple of months. It was over a year before I could backpack without pain and I still hurt in places if I get over-tired. I had to cut short a through-hike last August because of pain and fatigue in my left leg.

I used ibuprofen a lot in the early stages of recovery. What really helped, though, was physical therapy combined with gentle weight workouts. Early this spring, I did a 50 mile, four day hike in the Rincon Mountains near where I live and handled it pretty well. The total elevation gained and lost on that hike was about 7000'; most of it the first two days. My aerobic capacity is still good but I don't seem to be as strong as I was, especially in my left leg. So, I hike a little slower. I still generate a few sore spots from long hikes nearly two years later but overall I feel pretty strong. I have two one week trips in the Sierra and a five day hike in the Grand Canyon planned for this summer and don't anticipate any major problems.

If I have any advice to offer it is mostly just to keep working at it and to not get discouraged. Recovery from this sort of injury takes time.

#167645 - 07/05/12 08:06 AM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: Pika]
wildthing Offline

Hey Pika, that's quite a story. Jeez, wish you could have sued that driver for 6 figures. Good to hear you're almost back...and I did read the posts in the other topic on getting it back. Your situation seemed a lot worse than mine, with some serious pain and suffering. I luckily only had bruising and hip problems as a result.

Think you're right about taking time to get back. I'm just impatient as we just got some nice weather here. I'll get a chance to do some day hiking in a week to test out the hip on the trail. Funnily enough, I'm past the problem of pain after walking, it seems to improve the more stretching in yoga I do or after a good walk. That's encouraging!

The stiffness and back issues that emerged from this is the biggest problem, making me a little slow and careful on difficult routes and trails. You see all the 20 and 30 somethings just dancing along without a care in the world how they put their feet. It is bothersome, but a harbinger of things to come as we get older.

Glad to hear that there is some improvement and maybe even a semblance of normal after some time.

#167668 - 07/05/12 08:10 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: wildthing]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I herniated a lumbar disc (twice) a few years ago and had to take it slow as I recovered.

The best advice I can give is to keep some flexibility in your plans. The worst thing I could do would be to sign up for a backpacking trip with inflexible miles and times and over do things trying to keep up with that schedule or the pace of another person.

My current guidelines are that I'll backpack 8 miles or for 4 hours, whichever comes first. That seems to be working. I'm 67.

#170737 - 10/19/12 07:03 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: DJ2]
wildthing Offline

Hey all, I'm pleased to report that almost one year later, my walking/hiking is almost back to normal. Had a bit of a relapse hiking when I tripped over a step and overextended my knee and wrecked my right side a bit. Now just some stiffness and a little aching if I overdo it. Should be good for next season backpacking and have to try out my 10lb baseweight with the almost over the hill 60 year old body. At least I've straigntened out the "imbalance" some and am almost as good as I was in 2011!

In the meantime, I'm planning a trip to Mexico to celebrate my 60th. I'd love to do the CDT, but can't get that much time off for now. Maybe in 2016, and after I get down to my 175lb fighting weight.

#171039 - 10/29/12 01:16 AM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: wildthing]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Happy to hear that you're on the mend Wildthing.
As much as I am enjoying getting older... really - the additional creaks and groans, and the time that it takes to heal are a serious detractor. But, I wouldn't go back.

#171323 - 11/02/12 06:11 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: rionada]
wildthing Offline

Yoga is good for the ever-changing body...helps with the creaks and groans, and keeps your system up for when you need ot really use it uphill! Should get my backpacking practice together so I can do a few exercises before I try and get out of the tent.

#171400 - 11/04/12 12:25 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: wildthing]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I like swimming for flexibility and for keeping myself in reasonable shape. Yoga has always seemed a good idea, but I haven't been able to motivate in that direction yet... maybe when I'm 60?!

#181799 - 01/09/14 02:49 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: rionada]
wildthing Offline

2014 Is the Year I Get Out There!
After no backpacking at all during 2013, I have to plan some trips. Hips and back are flaring up from sitting and I have to get some miles on me to even things out. Cold, nasty, and windy here in BC but I need to get back into shape for backpacking. I thought I'd rejuvenate this topic just to pick your brains on some training exercises. I'm thinking of pulling out my backpack and doing some 10km hikes with a full pack but no food. Stop for a warm lunch somewhere where I can sit on a piece of sleeping pad.

What are your techniques for building up your mileage prior to an Easter trip?

#181803 - 01/09/14 07:28 PM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: wildthing]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I try to jog a few times a week, about two miles is all, or my ankles or knees act up. I got my mt bike going again last Spring, so when it warms just a bit, I'll be back out on it. I bp year round, so never get out of shape. My blood gets the conditioning as I car camp as much too, in-between bp trips. Usually the camping gets cut off by November, but I was out last weekend camping and off this coming weekend for another snow camp trip with my new winter pack I got in Oct. or so.
Last year was not good for my ocular migraines. I kept track and was very surprised how often my vision was affected.
Duane

#181808 - 01/10/14 10:56 AM Re: Backpacking With Imbalance [Re: hikerduane]
wildthing Offline

Duane, we get more winter here on west coast BC, and it just ain't fun backpacking between November and March. Which is why I thought Easter would be a good blowout weekend. Don't jog, but will be continuing my 3x ride to work per week shortly now that the weather has warmed up and the slush and frost have melted off the roads.

You are so lucky to be able to continue to get out! There is a Mount Douglas dawn hike on Saturday I'm considering as it has been awhile since I climbed much of an incline. Weather is promising steady rain, however, and I'm weighing it out. Might make an impromptu showing if the rain is not too steady.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum