Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180209 - 10/12/13 02:16 PM Getting in Shape to Backpack
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well I'm getting antsy as can be again waiting for the backpacking season to start here.

This time of year is just tough on me. The weather is so wonderful right now and everything is so beautiful out. The ticks and chiggers are starting to die down but they're still out there and they're hungry. Snakes and tarantulas are too. The tarantulas won't bother you unless you harass them, and neither will the snakes for the most part, but stepping on them will get you bit and they blend in so good that they're hard to see even when you're right next to them.

So for the next two weeks I'll be gathering up my gear and getting it ready. My gear is scattered all over the place. And I started walking this week to get me ready. I'm really out of shape, but I knew that already. I hardly got out last year so I've been sitting on my butt for two years now working like one obsessed, and I've known it's been taking a toll. I was a bit surprised at how much though.

On Tuesday I took my first walk, it was only about 3/4 of a mile on a gravel road with a slight hill, but on the way back home coming up the hill my left hip was hurting pretty good. I couldn't help but think of all the people I know that have had hip replacements and I don't want to join that club.

So, on wednesday before I went I did some stretches and took a packet of "Emergen-C", a capsule of ginseng, and a tablespoon of local raw honey, and then headed out. This time I hiked off trail in the forest and went further down the hill and did closer to a mile. My hip was hurting again on the way back up the hill, but not quite as bad. I repeated that on thursday and friday going a little further down hill and extending the distance a bit each day, and I added my ultralight day pack with about 4-5 lbs of gear. I did about 1.5 miles yesterday evening and while I was still a little creaky I wasn't in any pain. In fact, the improvement is actually amazing already.

This is not the first time I've experienced this, but this time the pain was worse. I think I lot of that is because I didn't swim as much this summer, I was working instead. But the main point that's been reinforced for me is how fast you can get back into shape and how big an impact that has on pain.

It would be so easy to go to a doctor and whine, and continue to sit to avoid pain, and take pain pills, and eventually be talked into a hip replacement, and I have to wonder about how often that happens.

Another thing I did before I started walking this week was get new shoes. I ended up getting some Keen mids and I really like them a lot. The wider toe box feels just great and the soles are not Vibram and are not lugged, but rather smooth, and they grip just great. The insoles aren't great, but they are pretty good and have very good arch support. I'll wear the insoles out and then replace them.

Good shoes are really important to keep your back and hips in good shape. I learned that from a chiropractor about 30 years ago when my hip first gave me problems. He explained that stretching, having good shoes, and walking were the keys to living without back, hip, and leg (sciatica) pain.

The benefits of local Raw honey for joint pain was given to me by an old friend. Shortly after he shared this info I started getting "Bursitis" in my shoulder. The friend reminded me to start taking honey for it and I ignored him for about another year and my shoulder kept getting worse. Finally it got so bad that I went and bought some honey and started taking a tablespoon in the mornings. Within a couple days the pain was gone all day, but back in the morning. Before the end of the month it was gone, and by the end of a couple more months I didn't need to take the honey everyday. It was amazing how fast and good it worked.

I'll be fine by the end of the month for my first backpack trip of the season, and from there I'll keep getting stronger if I keep getting out, but I already feel a lot better laugh

"You want to go where?"

#180211 - 10/12/13 10:40 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: billstephenson]
jimmyb Offline

I hear ya.

Winters are always a big down time for us. We just don't get out like the other 3 seasons and that means getting back in shape every year... this is where one might complain about getting older but as always, getting old beats the alternative. shocked

jimmyb

#180218 - 10/13/13 04:14 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: billstephenson]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You just got to knock off the rust.

#180225 - 10/14/13 08:51 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: billstephenson]
Mike Latta Offline

Loc: Colorado
As a bee keeper, I thank you for letting others in on our secret. I'm jealous, that your season is starting. I got snowed on all day, here in Colorado. While I'm a 4 season packer, the older I get the more I value my warmth.

#180226 - 10/14/13 09:24 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I do something year round, snow, cold or not. That way, there is no getting back in shape. I do notice that weekend bp trips can get me to feeling some soreness, but longer trips on vacations don't phase me for some reason. I'm waiting for a good winter with plenty of snow, it is hard to snow camp with half a foot of snow. I jog a few miles twice a week and am trying to get back on my mt bike for exercise in-between. My younger bp friends are kept in constant amazement that I can keep up with them and more. At least I have someone once in awhile to bp with instead of so many solo trips.
Duane

#180229 - 10/14/13 09:48 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: Mike Latta]
billstephenson Offline

Mike I should be thanking you for keeping bees!

I'm convinced honey is a gift from God that is filled with magic. When I first tried it as an antibiotic ointment instead of Neosporin I was honestly stunned. I don't know how it helps with joint pain, like my shoulder and hip, but I know it does. I suspect it has something in it that I need and I'm lacking. But the speed that it worked has been stunning for me, and I'm not the only one I know that it's worked for.

It's in my backpack when I go out. It's the best tasting multi-purpose item I bring laugh

"You want to go where?"

#180312 - 10/19/13 10:05 PM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
I do something year round, snow, cold or not.

I used to. The past few years I've been working too much. I'm going to try and break that habit again now. Things have calmed down a bit and I don't feel quite as under the gun, and I got a lot of the work done that I wanted to.

Feeling pretty good already. Getting my gear ready tonight. It's been cool out so the bug are pretty much gone now. Tree are just starting to show some color.

I'm going to do a longer hike tomorrow, maybe an overnighter. And I'm planning a5-7 days trip for the end of the month, so I'm off to a better start than I've had the past few seasons.

"You want to go where?"

#180441 - 11/01/13 09:03 AM Re: Getting in Shape to Backpack [Re: billstephenson]
bpackengneer Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I have some general tips on my site that may help as well.

Backpacking Engineer - Fitness

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum