Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180032 - 10/02/13 08:47 PM Gear List Check-Up
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
For my 2-day, 1-night trip, here's my gear list:

In/On the Pack (Mountainsmith Haze 50)
Sleeping Bag (Marmot Trestles 30) + Liner - 3.5 lbs
Self Inflating Sleeping Pad - 2 lbs
2 5'x7' tarps (plus a pack cover) - 1 lb
Weather Radio - 2 lbs
Mess Kit
First Aid and hygiene
Tool Pouch - 3 lbs
-8 pegs
-Multi-tool
-Mechanics gloves (nice insulation yet good sensitivity)
-Head lamp
-Rope, Duct Tape
Clothes - 3.5 lbs
-Socks, Undies, T-shirt, night pants, wool cap
-Small towel

So, the pack's base weight comes in about 15-17 lbs (down from 20 originally)

I also have
Hip Belt - 3 lbs
- Whistle, compass, external cell phone battery, lighter, small pocket knife

Clothes to wear out + sneakers - 3 lbs

3 liter hydration bladder - 6.6 lbs
1 liter water bottle - 2.3 lbs

And probably Food 3-4 lbs

Did I miss anything?

I probably don't need to carry so much water, it will be available. My hiking partner will carry a filter, and a tent if necessary. I could probably drop the multi-tool and lighten the weight of the clothes. Also... the weather radio... Could probably find a lighter one some day, and probably not necessary on a 1 night. But I want to get a feel for a solid pack weight.

#180034 - 10/02/13 09:30 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
jimmyb Offline

Can you get a weather app for your phone?

Don't forget a pack liner. I use a trash compactor bag - learned that here. More important than the pack cover.

I will roll and wrap lager items like tent, fly and sleep pad with a small Velcro strap or light line with a square knot instead of carrying the stuff sacks.

Make sure any tools you carry have a purpose. A good small gauge sail makers needle and synthetic thread, and your duct tape will probably fix most things your carrying at least temporarily.

+1 on filtering instead of carrying extra water. Lots of weight to save there.

Personally I wouldn't take the extra shoes. Go light smile

And if your buddy comes along, take only one shelter and split the weight. That's the best part about hiking with my wife. We can spilt the community gear between us. And any small gear we both carry like headlights are automatically redundant so no need for extra batteries.

Have a great adventure!

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/02/13 09:30 PM)

#180035 - 10/02/13 09:59 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
9 pounds of water??? Why on earth that much? Why two tarps? Why a weather radio for one night? Why a rope? If the rope is for the tarps then it is a part of the shelter system and should be grouped with "shelter" items.

For an overnight, I plan on two days trail food, one dinner and one breakfast. So 2 "Days" actually amounts to 1.33 days food. I usually pack 1.2-1.5 pounds of food per day, so that is about 2 pounds total. On the other hand, an over night is a short trip so if inclined to want to eat well, why not? You can take a frozen steak and it will thaw during the hike in. Fresh mushrooms, garlic, potatoes. I once took an avocado and really enjoyed having it. For an overnight this time of year, eggs keep well. the original paper egg carton works well - just cut off the excess. This kind of eating probably would end up 4-5 pounds of food.

Even with your heavier sleeping bag, you should be able to keep pack weight 20 pounds for an overnight.

#180036 - 10/02/13 10:29 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
You appear to be off to a good start but I have a few questions and observations.

First, what conditions do you anticipate packing for? Winter in Alaska has substantially different requirements than summer in Florida as I'm sure you are aware. But, summer conditions in the east are markedly different from summers in the western mountains as well and you need different gear for the two.

In terms of your gear list:
1) I don't think you will need the sleeping bag liner. In my experience, liners add unnecessary weight, add little warmth and tangle with you when you try to sleep.
2) You could likely get along with a sleeping pad that weighs less than a pound rather than your two-pounder.
3) Why two small tarps? A single 8' x 10' tarp would serve you better and be easier to rig.
4) Don't use a pack cover, use a plastic bag inside your pack to protect the stuff than needs to be kept dry; it's lighter and more effective.
5) A two pound weather radio seems excessive. Are you sure you need a weather radio at all? If so, you can get one that weighs about 6 oz with batteries.
6) Mess kit. This is usually a euphemism for nested pots, pans, lids, dishes and silverware. They generally weigh 1-2 pounds and are major overkill. You should work on meals that require only a single, light, pot/eating bowl with a spoon or spork. Mine weighs less than 5 oz.
7) Tool pouch. I'm not sure what you carry as tools that will add up to three pounds. My repair/spares kit weighs 4 oz including my "multi-tool". You list your multi-tool separately.
8) Multi-tool. A Swiss Army Knife "Classic" weighs 0.7 oz and should provide all the tools you need for an overnight backpack trip.
9) Rope. Consider taking only a 25' length of 1/8" nylon braided cord.
10) What is the hip belt for? Is it part of your pack or is it similar to the equipment belts used by the military. If the latter, be sure that you need it. All of your gear should fit inside your pack.

Finally, go through your gear making sure that duplicate items are omitted. For example, the multi-tool you list will be duplicated in many ways by most Swiss Army knives. And, could your cell phone serve in place of the weather radio?---ie. could you call home and ask for a weather forecast?

You are off to a good start but a light pack is the result of evolution, not revolution. Have a great time.

#180043 - 10/03/13 09:02 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: Pika]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Here is my tarp .

I think you're off to a good start, but ditch the weather radio and take a camera instead. smile

#180045 - 10/03/13 09:31 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
lori Offline

As a matter of safety, ditch the weather radio and instead prepare for the unexpected. Figure out what the rare extremes are for the area you're visiting and then what you'd need to survive them. Since I have experienced snow in July in the Sierra, I typically pack to be comfortable to 20F and survive lower, until winter when the gear will become 0 degree comfortable. I've not regretted that choice - while others have regretted their 40F bags and their minimal pad choices. If the weather actually does change en route, what is a heavy radio really doing to help? You need to deal with the weather you actually have - not what the radio says. Recently the forecast for an area I was visiting said "20% chance of snow" all day - the area got several inches. Weather forecasts are only good for planning... you can look at the sky and tell what your weather will be once you're out there.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180046 - 10/03/13 09:41 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: lori]
MKenyon2 Offline

The weather radio has a crank to charge phones. However, I am tempted to drop it, since I have an external battery pack also.

The only sneakers I'm bringing are the ones I'm wearing to hike in.

The two tarps are 5x7' each, and together weigh under 1 lb. Last night I slept in the backyard, and used the tarp under the sleeping bag to protect it. It's so light... I figure why not. But am open to other ideas.

#180047 - 10/03/13 09:57 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
MKenyon2 Offline

The pad I got, sprung a leak the first night I used it. I tried it last night in my yard, just to get a feel for the gear, and about 3AM, I feel the air go out.

I'm a side sleeper, and my hip was resting on the ground. It was kind of rough, but I did fall back asleep.

Here's what I got:
Should have known, it was cheap

I'm thinking of trying to patch it, or replace it with this:
Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest SOLite Sleeping Pad

#180048 - 10/03/13 10:25 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
lori Offline

I can only sleep on inflatables, so have a few - foam pads are even less comfortable than self inflating for me, and yes, my joints and hips thank me for overcoming doubt to get a NeoAir.

My go-to is the hammock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180049 - 10/03/13 10:40 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: lori]
MKenyon2 Offline

Yea, I'm just wondering how crazy I need to be this time.
I leave tomorrow AM, and it's only 1 night. But if you don't sleep that 1 night, the second day hike is gonna be brutal.

Last night was rough enough... but much noisier in my backyard with trains passing through town, and my neighbor letting their dog out late at night with the flood-lights... smile

#180050 - 10/03/13 11:58 AM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
quality inflatable pads are much more durable. I always buy mine at REI so it is backed by their return policy.

As long as you are decent with site selection (clear out sharp rocks) you shouldn't have a problem with a quality inflatable pad. If you can get a good nights sleep on a CCF they are pretty infallible.

#180055 - 10/03/13 01:16 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
MKenyon2 Offline

Ran over to BassPro shops for lunch. Got a patch kit for the self inflatable, but while I was there, I looked at the SoLite. SO BIG!

Instead I picked up this:
Therma-A-Rest Trail Scout Sleeping Pad

#180124 - 10/07/13 09:50 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
MKenyon2 Offline

The trip went well. Thanks for the help.

What I call the tool pouch had the pegs, duct tape, Leatherman and rope in it.

The two tarps worked out, since we each had one under our sleeping bags. We could have used them as lean-tos if necessary.

I ended up with a lighter, Thermarest sleeping pad at 1 lb that took up less space and felt much better.

Left the weather radio home.

The liner is a light linen, not fleece. Just to keep the oils away from the bag. I didn't find it troublesome, and only a couple ounces.

The rope was nylon, so it was pretty light. Just enough for if we needed some.

Why all the water? It's been especially dry here in PA. For our hike, water was far enough between that even with about 4 liters of water, it was just enough on some of the stretches between watering spots. Since it was so unusually warm, we did sweat quite a bit. My buddy carried a water filter that worked for both of us.

The hip pouch... it's small. I wanted to have quick access to a couple things, such as my compass and a tiny flashlight, without having to take the whole pack of. I kept a bag of dried apples or trail mix in there for munching when we would pause to look at the scenery but didn't stop long enough to take the pack off. This one had it's own belt, but I am going to look for one that attaches to the hip belt of my pack. It did serve a good purpose for my needs.

I actually brought more than enough food, since my buddy brought some food to share, so I can lighten up there. I was surprised how my appetite seemed actually lighter while hiking. With the snacks in the hip pouch tho, I grazed throughout the day. I hope to shave a few more pounds off the pack, and get it down to 20 total with food and water. I can probably shave some weight by switching out more of the cotton clothes for synthetic.

Edited by MKenyon2 (10/07/13 09:56 PM)

#180130 - 10/07/13 10:40 PM Re: Gear List Check-Up [Re: MKenyon2]
jimmyb Offline

goodjob Glad to here your trip was a success. You have the right idea. Just like in any sport, you jump in and give it a try and then evaluate your performance - or in this case your gears performance. You now know what you need, what you don't, what worked well and what could be improved upon. Now comes the fun part...planning your next trip.

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/08/13 07:29 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum