Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175998 - 03/25/13 10:33 AM Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
My son who will be almost 16 next summer when he goes to Philmont with his Scout Troop. They will be arriving in Denver CO mid to late July 2014. They will spend a few days in the CO Springs area to get acclimated prior to the 11 day trek at Philmont. I have some questions about gear that he might need. Budget is somewhat of a concern however time is on my side for now. I have time to find good deals etc so its not everything. We are in Charlotte, NC and it would be nice if the equipment would be suitable for here as well however I understand the climate is quite different. Humidity is a constant here.

Currently he has an REI passage backpack which has an adjustable torso. A Boy Scout (No Brand Name, came from the Scout store)down 32 degree sleeping bag(2.5 lbs) A Big Agnes insulated air core pad.
REI quarter dome T2 plus tent.

I was told that they are required to start out from most points carrying 5 liters of water.

1. Do they supply the tents at Philmont? I have heard they supply gear other than personal gear there is that true? Is our current tent choice reasonable?

2. Would a realistically 35~40 degree bag be sufficient or too much for Philmont late July early August?

3. Is an infaltable pad a good idea for this trip or should I consider a closed cell foam pad that can't spring a leak be a better choice.

4. Boots, He has a very comfortable pair of Keen boots that he has had for 1 year. His feet might grow between now and then. How long should I wait or how soon should I get him another pair to allow sufficient time to break them in. If his feet don't grow should I risk letting him wear 2 year old well broken boots? How can I tell if a pair of boots might not make it?

5. Any other things I should consider?

Thanks for any and all input!!

#175999 - 03/25/13 11:25 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: Dave H]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I went to philmont a loooong time ago, I think it was '94. Anyways, I wouldn't bring anything less than a 32 degree bag. Also, for a 16 year old, a closed cell foam pad is better. They are still young and don't mind sleeping on a hard ground, and the pad will not break. It is also lighter.

Here is a good source for all things Philmont and light weight backpacking: Philmont on BPL

#176014 - 03/26/13 11:01 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: Dave H]
dzierzak Offline

Loc: WV
I hate fat-fingers.... I was finishing #4 and erased it all.... Try #2

Background - Ive been a contingent advisor for our last 4 Council contingents. Advice is worth what you pay for it wink

1. Yes, Philmont has tents. Last year they started replacing the non-free-standing tents with a custom design from MSR. It's very similar to the MSR Nook 2. By 2014, all should be replaced. Tents are checked out with the rest of your crew gear and returned the same way. Tents are inspected on check-out and check-in. Your tent looks good. There are pros and cons of your own vs Philmont's. The only other "personal" gear available is a pack rental ($18 last year).

2. We advise a 20-30 degree bag. Even late in the season it can get cold. It's also easier to open up a too-hot bag than to wish for more insulation. Murphy is on Philmont's permanent staff. wink

3. Our crews have had a mix of inflatable, self-inflating, and closed-cell. All worked well. Just be sure to pack the inflatable and self-inflating INSIDE the pack. Closed-cell can be strapped to the outside if need be.

4. Boots. If he's happy with the Keens, go with them. Quality boots should last more than 2 years. My Vasques made 4 treks before I blew them out on the Appalachian Trail (at over 1200 miles of total hiking). I'm currently wearing Vasque hiking shoes - not boots. There's no way to know if they'll make it except for checking them out for deterioration on a regular basis. If his feet grow, I'd recommend getting boots no later than March, 2014. Wear them everywhere until the trek. He'll do fine. In addition, a pair of camp shoes feel good once boots are off for the day. They also provide a backup in case of a boot problem.

The water thing is variable. The best solution is planning. For example, the first trail day is generally only 2-5 miles with water available at the campsite or nearby. There's no need to carry more that 2-3 liters to get to camp. Other days will have other requirements. This is part of crew planning - checking for water and destination on the night before each day's hike. The least I carried on our last trek was 2 liters (starting in the morning). The most was 5 liters (going into a dry camp).

Lots of other stuff to consider, but I'm about typed out. Philmont Forum is another source of advice. Feel free to email if you wish - dzierzak@marshall.edu

I hope he enjoys the trek!

Edited by dzierzak (03/26/13 11:03 AM)

#176022 - 03/26/13 04:14 PM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: Dave H]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
The paper I wrote is for folks like you.

1. Nearly all the Philmont-issued gear would be overkill (and heavy) so I'd avoid it as much as possible (unless you can't afford to).

2. He should be OK with his 32 F down bag (that may be really 40). He may need to wear extra clothes on coldest nights which technically may violate their separate sleep clothes policy.

3. If he's already using an inflatable, you may as well stick with it, but I'd try to get a thin (1/8") CCF to put under it for extra protection unless you know he's good at cleaning debris from his resting site.

4. I'd wear trail runners unless he's got foot/ankle issues. Very little break-in needed.

5. Read the Philmont forum at BPL that was already mentioned.

#176023 - 03/26/13 04:46 PM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: topshot]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thanks, Topshot, I lost the reference to your dissertation in my latest computer upgrade! To the OP: It's an excellent resource for all beginning backpackers, Scouts and otherwise.

Here's a link to a video series for Scouts (useful for everyone, actually, especially the two excellent videos on lightening packs): Lightweight backpacking for Boy Scouts

Edited by OregonMouse (03/26/13 04:56 PM)

#176024 - 03/26/13 05:26 PM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: OregonMouse]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the info!!

#176033 - 03/27/13 07:51 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: Dave H]
dzierzak Offline

I didn't have Philmont info with me when I initially replied. Both Topshot and OM's sources are great references. There is also a Philmont email list. You can sign up at Philmont list

#190520 - 05/11/15 10:55 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: dzierzak]
2talljones Offline

Whatever happened to that Philmont Forum. I remember it was a great place to visit for info the last time our troop went to philmont but the website is gone now?

#190533 - 05/12/15 10:23 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: 2talljones]
dzierzak Offline

Shane was unable to continue the site about the end of last year. The domain name expired about that time and was not renewed. A small amount of the site content is available through the Wayback machine. He did say he would keep the site backup if anyone was interested in continuing the site.

I'm happy to help if you've any questions.

Edited by dzierzak (05/12/15 10:25 AM)

#204843 - 09/26/20 06:22 AM Re: Philmont 2014 trip preparation advice [Re: Dave H]
John Russel Offline

Loc: USA, Apple valley
It seems like I'm a little late to reply this thread but I want to add a few words on this so that the future readers can be helped. Let's dive into the list. Dave's son backpacking list is rich but according to my experience, he missed something. Guess what? well, a pair of hiking pants. If you're a regular hiker, you may know it's importance for a comfortable hiking session.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (09/26/20 09:50 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed link to commercially linked site

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum