Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175004 - 02/12/13 08:02 PM Gear for Northern Alaska for March
Rahul Offline

Hi,
I am travelling to Northern Alaska(Coldfoot) during the 3rd week of March. I was hoping to use my ski jacket with Mountain gear Monkey Man middle layer and a mid weight thermal. Is that reasonable? Do I need to spend on a WildThings or a 700-fill Down Jacket?

Thanks much.
Rahul

#175006 - 02/12/13 08:40 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
We have a couple of members who live in Alaska who may be able to answer your question. Also, I would call an outfitter like REI or AMH in Anchorage and ask them.
http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak2103

If by ski jacket, you just mean a shell parka, then my answer would be probably no, not warm enough, at least for me. See the parka I am wearing? That is a TNF Baltoro that I wear in Yosemite in winter and it's warmer there than in AK in March. I wear that over Patagonia Capilene midweight baselayer and a light fleece jacket that is lighter than a Monkey Man, which I have seen.

Edited by TomD (02/12/13 08:45 PM)

#175020 - 02/13/13 06:01 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
If memory serves there is a ranger station located in Coldfoot. On my winter trip to Alaska a few years ago I found park rangers were very helpful in providing information. They even offered to lend me snowshoes while I was at Denali National Park.

OK, I looked one up for you smile
Gates of the Arctic National
Park and Preserve
P.O. Box 9034
Coldfoot, AK 99701
(907) 678-2004

Edited by PerryMK (02/13/13 06:02 AM)

#175021 - 02/13/13 06:33 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: TomD]
Rahul Offline

so, should I spend more and get something like http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-things/shop/all-men/m-belay-jacket.html?color=chili%20pepper ? This is expensive and may not be used much again by me. Would compressor pants be a necessity for my lower body?

#175022 - 02/13/13 06:34 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: PerryMK]
Rahul Offline

Thanks so much for the information about the Ranger station! Will call them in the morning

#175023 - 02/13/13 09:22 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Whether or not you can use your ski jacket depends on how it fits and what condition it is in. For your outer layer, you don't need an insulated jacket. It just needs to protect from the weather. If it is large enough, then you can simply put on more layers underneath. If I were you, I would plan an wearing more than 2 layers underneath.
How experienced are you at snow camping? You might want to check out this site.
Wintertrekking

#175027 - 02/13/13 11:40 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Note that we have a section on winter camping here. It's way down the forum list, almost to the bottom.

#175029 - 02/13/13 12:31 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Make sure to go see the waterfall! I'll have to dig up the coordinates.

This year, in Fairbanks, has been pretty mild. Wind might be a consideration though.

I need more information though. What are you doing? (Snowmachining? Skiing? Mushing?) Are you camping? What kind of conditions are you used to?

Late March could be warmish (relative - but above 0F likely) or it could be the start of breakup... (just one word - ewwww).

Coldfoot does tend to be about a week to two weeks off from us season wise (winter hits them a bit earlier and stays a bit longer.) The pass is a whole 'nother story! So if that is in your plans, might want to mention that too.

#175056 - 02/14/13 12:18 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
OttoStover Offline

Loc: Norway
I live in a country with some of the same climate as Alaska, and you will be perfectly ok with a windstopper shell and then a number of layers underneath according to the temperature, one or two is usually enough.

The thing to remember is a good cap, and also good mittens. Best is wool with large windstopper overmittens if it is windy. Gloves are not as warm as mittens.

Of course it is nice with an insulated jacket like Tom has, but you have no absolute need for it. If the jacket you own has a good hood it will be fine with a wool cap under. Like Heather says it also depends on what you plan to do.
Otto

Edited by OttoStover (02/14/13 12:40 AM)

#175073 - 02/14/13 10:31 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: OttoStover]
Rahul Offline

Thanks for all the information. I am primarily going for photography of the Northern lights. So, I will be somewhat static, and out in the night. I will also need reasonable mobility in my hands to operate my camera.

I may do some day trips around Coldfoot, but will not be camping. I will be staying at the camp.

#175074 - 02/14/13 10:39 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
Rahul Offline

Any suggestions on things I could do during the day would be welcome as well. I know the Brook's range is close, and I am hoping to do that. I will not have a personal vehicle at Coldfoot, so that makes getting around harder.

#175078 - 02/14/13 02:45 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
Heather-ak Offline

Marrion Creek waterfall in the Marion Creek Campground "area" - right outside of Coldfoot.

Also, it should be above 0F at that point looking at the weather history, though there was a record low at some point of -25F. Personally (but I like the cold) your ski jacket should be fine. NO COTTON! Seriously. I'd take a couple of layers - mid weight thermals, many pairs of varying thickness wool socks. A pair of puffy over-pants wouldn't hurt (not seriously thick) - and definitly have an outer wind layer! I'd call ahead like the week before and see what their snow depth is like - a pair of snowshoes may or may not be useful.

#175097 - 02/15/13 02:16 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Heather-ak]
Rahul Offline

Thanks Heather. That is very useful information. I am hoping to get a balaclava for my head/face and for pants, a base layer+micro-fleece mid layer and a water proof ski-pant. Is that sufficient normally?

#175110 - 02/15/13 12:29 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
Heather-ak Offline

Here is a historical record:
http://classic.wunderground.com/history/...eq_statename=NA

I picked the 21st arbitrarily. My husband mentioned on the way in, that you might want to bring a pair of waterproof socks.

Are you bringing a sleeping bag? - if you are outside at night for a long time, it might be nice to have something to crawl in while staring at the stars. It is colder at night, something I hadn't thought about. That time of year we do have temperature swings (warm(ish) during the day and colder at night - looking at the history it did say something like -10F at night (with +15F during the day.)

#175125 - 02/16/13 02:02 AM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: OttoStover]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By OttoStover
I live in a country with some of the same climate as Alaska, and you will be perfectly ok with a windstopper shell and then a number of layers underneath according to the temperature, one or two is usually enough.

The thing to remember is a good cap, and also good mittens. Best is wool with large windstopper overmittens if it is windy. Gloves are not as warm as mittens.

Of course it is nice with an insulated jacket like Tom has, but you have no absolute need for it. If the jacket you own has a good hood it will be fine with a wool cap under. Like Heather says it also depends on what you plan to do.
Otto

I wear that because I'm a wimp, Otto. cry I love winter, but hate to be cold. Go figure. Hehehe.

#176017 - 03/26/13 12:50 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Rahul]
Heather-ak Offline

Well, Fairbanks got 3-5 inches of snow this week and the temp dropped. (well I did spend a week in Cali a bit ago, so it feels colder anyways.) So I think you are going to need snowshoes! They keep telling us NEXT weekend will be warmer (last two weeks, hasn't happened yet)

#176018 - 03/26/13 12:51 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Heather-ak]
Heather-ak Offline

Ha! just reviewed the post, the poster is prob. already here. blush

#176046 - 03/27/13 10:29 PM Re: Gear for Northern Alaska for March [Re: Heather-ak]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
We had a "warm" winter here in Anchorage too, but true to form we are having some of our coldest and snowiest weather that we've had all year. I sure hope the OP took the advice for layers and a sleeping bag for hanging out waiting for the lights to appear!

MNS

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum