Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173020 - 12/13/12 12:03 PM Re: Bivy bags and bugs [Re: Doppelgänger]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Google "silnylon misting" for hours of fun. Much controversy re. whether water is working through the fabric or if the force of rain is knocking off condensation.

Cheers,

#173061 - 12/14/12 04:25 AM Re: Bivy bags and bugs [Re: Rick_D]
Doppelgänger Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Google "silnylon misting" for hours of fun. Much controversy re. whether water is working through the fabric or if the force of rain is knocking off condensation.

Cheers,

Oh, now that's funny! haha! The same fabric nonsensical conspiracy theories are made out of ... Behold, the hand is quicker than the eye! Belief is suspended! The mind is momentarily restrained!

Good one! laugh

Silnylon clearly leaks under lab conditions where there is no hiker sweating and breathing inches away from the fabric and the hydrostatic column of water. In my case, it took 1200mm of water to push a given amount of water in a given amount of time through the sample to quantify the waterproofing resistance of the material.

When that water trickles from the pipe and through the fabric, I can assure you, it isn't condensation knocked off the sample by a hammering rain.

That's not to say such doesn't happen with a sweaty, humid breathed hiker, all clammy and miserable in his nightmare of a tent. But that happening doesn't preclude the dynamic pressure of rain exceeding the rating of the fabric and leaking. It's not an either/or phenomenon. I can have a leaky crack in my car's windshield, and fog it with my breath till it runs, simultaneously.

Thanks for the heads up, Rick. I'll definitely Google that. I could use a good chuckle!

Edited by Doppelgänger (12/14/12 09:09 PM)

Who you gonna call ... Ghostbusters? (I ain't afraid of no sketch comedians!)

#173347 - 12/30/12 01:47 AM Re: Bivy bags and bugs [Re: walksomewhere]
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
I've got the Jungle bag and it's great! very comfy, the bug net works well, but you've got to either get used to it being on your face/head, or buy a pair of fiberglass tent pole sections to form a half loop to keep it off your face. You can also add a liner of some type to stay warm if the temp lowers. I've used in temps ranging from 45 to 90. It's rated to 40, but you'll need to be dressed appropriately inside it for that to happen. It's a great warm weather bag. I've also used it with a piece of Tyvek for both ground cloth and tarp, along with a surplus gov't bivy sack. weighs out about 2.8 lbs total.

#173409 - 01/02/13 10:46 AM Re: Bivy bags and bugs [Re: Doppelgänger]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Doppelgänger
Originally Posted By lori
Twas a Pacific rainstorm - it dropped several inches in a few hours ... Some of the PU coated tents the other campers had failed miserably as well. It pays to have the right gear.

Non-breathable tent coatings can pass water? haha Now there's a new concept for me to digest, so I checked the hydrostatic rating of my 2010 Golite silnylon poncho tarp. 1200mm! It was a soaking waiting to happen--no better than Tyvek! Fortunately, I never found myself in it during a heavy storm on my thru-hike (thank god that one night in Maine I was in a shelter and not under that tarp. Even the shelter leaked that night) My down bag would have been soaked.

I'll never buy another piece of rain gear again without checking the rating first. Holy cow, only 1200mm. Thanks for the heads up.

I think you are making some mistaken assumptions here. The problems with the tents were that they were cheap - very cheap car camping tents are frequently rated 600mm and not seam sealed, and it was mostly coming through seams.

1300mm silnylon endured a couple hours of downpour in Evolution Valley this past summer without a leak or a single drip - I have a great little Lightheart Solo tent that withstood it wonderfully. I seam sealed it before going out with it per mfr suggestion. However, in other conditions, such as last weekend on the coast (Point Reyes) where humidity was high and the ground muddy after 9 inches of rain over the past weeks, no one escaped heavy condensation inside and outside the tents - not the PU coated tents, not my tent, not the tarp. All were wet inside and out. But fortunately we know how to handle condensation.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum